"Yes," Nefertari replied, her voice dropping contritely. "You know she has always been indignant with the fact that she is not Great Wife. How will she now react knowing that you shall lower her status even more?" Her thick lashes flickered as her topaz eyes began to shimmer in the brazier's reddish glow. 

"I will handle her," Ramses reassured.

"I hope it goes as well as you expect, my beloved star."

Isetnofret was humming as she fixed her short, platinum-entwined wig in the polished bronze mirror that sat upon her cedar dresser

Isetnofret was humming as she fixed her short, platinum-entwined wig in the polished bronze mirror that sat upon her cedar dresser. Her maidservants had done an unsatisfactory job dressing her, so she had sent the insolent fools out of her regal presence. 

Reaching out with her lithe, ring-laden fingers, she took her ivory kohl applicator and began thickly defining her obsidian eyes with the eyeliner. 

Satisfied, she puckered her lips and reapplied the rouge she had confiscated from one of her many other sisters within the harem. 

Then, with a fine-haired reed, she dabbed the malachite powder on her eyelids, smudging it along her skin to her utmost satisfaction.

Wiping a pointed finger into the gold creme before her, she smeared it above the long line of ebony kohl she had drawn previously.

"Such a beauty that could rival the great Isis herself, my darling." Came her favourite voice. It was so deep and delectable that she felt she could melt into her chair. 

Twitching her pointed nose with anticipation, she spun around to face him, throwing her arms out in beckoning. "My beloved husband!" She cried out excitedly. "Finally, you have come to me!" 

"Yes," his voice was apologetic as he took her into his arms and lifted her from her chair. 

"I have been preoccupied as of late."

"Warming the beds of my sisters, you mean," she corrected almost harshly.

Ramses frowned and cleared his throat at the slight. "I do have those obligations to adhere to as well, Isetnofret. You know that. But it is not that I was referring to."

"Oh, so we are obligations now, are we?" Isetnofret did not miss a beat.

The frown on Ramses' brow deepened. "Do not take my words out of context, Isetnofret."

 "Then choose other words," she replied with an air.

Ramses groaned impatiently at her, and to satiate her need, he grasped her firm rear and kissed her deeply. Then, after a grand moment of savouring her delicious mouth, he pulled away and looked down at her with affection. 

Her taste of milk and honey lingered upon his lips as he smiled. "I am sorry, my dear. You are not to be called obligations at all. You know what I meant."

"Of course, my sweet, darling husband," she hummed then. "Anyway, I have heard talk of peace with the King of Hatti," she began flatly. 

Ramses rolled his eyes away from her sight. "It seems you ladies are very adept at talking."