Strictly Business~ Beef Spleen and Pickpocketing

Start from the beginning

     Weston face is deadpanned.  “And that’s supposed to be a good thing?  Don’t be so naïve.” 

     “And don’t you be so jealous.”  I say, walking ahead of him so no one will notice we’re in conversation together. 

     I reach my English class first, walking over to my usual seat behind Garrett Austin.  Weston’s only a few seconds behind, taking his seat on the other side of the classroom. As I sit down, Garrett grins at me.  I catch his grin, smiling back at him, slightly weirded out.  Garrett hasn’t said one word to me since the very first day I got in this class, even though we’ve been sitting side-by-side for the entire year.

     I feel his eyes on me for a while, before he actually scoots over in his seat and strikes up conversation.  “You look nice,” He states, simply.

     “Thanks, you look nice today too.”

     But he continues to stare.  I try to ignore it, but his unwavering gaze starts to become a bit overwhelming.  “You’re still staring.”  I say.

     “Sorry,” he turns his head away quickly.  “It’s just…I never noticed how beautiful you were, Addelyn.”

     I frown a bit, caught off-guard by his bluntness.  Nine months in this classroom and not one word from this guy, and suddenly, he’s calling me beautiful.  The attention is nice, but a bit unnerving at the same time.  That is, until I notice Weston paying full attention to the conversation between me and Garrett, a very unhappy look settling on his face.  I decide to play in his pain.

     “That’s sweet, Garrett.  I actually allowed my friend to use my face as a blank canvas to practice her cosmetology skills.  I’d say she did a pretty good job.”  I flip my hair over my shoulder.  I can see Weston roll his eyes.

     “That she did.”  He says, as the teacher walks in.  She rambles on a little bit about the English assignment.  Something dealing with Goethe, apparently.  I wasn’t really listening.  But I did hear the word ‘partner’ in her monotonous lecture, and in a matter of seconds, Garrett had his desk pushed up against mine, for the first time this year, eager to work with me on an assignment.

     About twenty minutes in, and I could practically see the smoke coming out of Weston’s ears.  Garrett and I are talking like the closest of friends, though he’s doing most of the talking.  Everyone once in a while I catch a flirtatious innuendo, which I find more cute than arrogant.  And more than once, we’ve gotten a stern look from the teacher, due to our laughter.  And I really was enjoying his company.  It was genuine, unlike Jackson’s.

     And right when I thought things can’t get any better, Garrett pops the question towards the end of class.  “Forgive me, if I’m being a little too hasty, but you wouldn’t happen to be busy this evening would you?”

     I scan Garrett discreetly.  He looked like a pretty decent guy.  Caramel-colored skin, short curly hair, and brown eyes that seemed so warm and inviting.  And not to mention, the fact that he’s talking to me makes Weston’s face red with anger.  Nothing is more entertaining than watching him suffer.

     And so I let my eyes flicker to him, making sure he catches my glance, before I plaster on my most flattering grin.  “No, not at all.”

     Garrett’s eyes brighten.  “Oh!  Cool!  Well, I know this really awesome Italian restaurant I might be able to get us in, if you’re cool with that.  If you think it’s too much, we can always just go to a movie or something.”

     “No, no.  Actually Italian food sounds awesome right now.  But, um, may I ask what restaurant you have in mind?”  I ask, right as the teacher walks into the classroom.