Chapter 17 - Sunspear

*Not Edited*

The heat was scorching as we sailed into the harbor at Sunspear. I nervously waited at the front of the ship, standing next to Amira with the three rescued girls by my side.

Amira had chosen a beautiful dress for me to wear, it was made of crumbled pink and cream silk and it was embroidered with gold thread. It turned out that Naira had a skill in sewing and once we had given her some blue silk that the crew had kindly donated she had made three beautiful matching dresses for herself and the younger girls.

Amira was smiling ear to ear as we rounded a cove and the palace came into view. I gasped along with Naira, Sorella and Sarnia; I had never seen anything as beautiful.

The whole thing was made of bright cream marble and from where we stood on the boat we could see that each tower of the magnificent building was topped with golden domes that shone in the bright sun. We could see bits of greenery everywhere, peeking out from large archways and tall palm tree's towering over the castle walls.

As our ship came into view of the docks a few people who had seen us standing at the prow started to cheer and shout greetings.

"Amira, why are they cheering? We're just ladies"

"aaahhh dear cousin, in the north and that horrible lion's den we were merely ladies but here we are Martell's, strong and respected. The common people here are treated with nothing but kindness so they see no wrong in welcoming even the most distant in line for the throne"

"But we're only women, I would understand if Oberyn were with us but they have no reason to cheer for us"

"Here the rules are different, the first born will always inherit the throne, boy or girl. Let's just say that every single member of the Martell family, the seven forbid, died of the fever. Except for you, the throne would go to you then to which over of your children was born first. The common people are kind not only because they are grateful but also because they know that any member of our family could rule them"

At the twins I had always been looked down on by my half brothers and sisters. Even though my mother had treated them well they still viewed her as an outsider, Dornish men do not belong in the North. They respected Rosella though, she was sweet and innocent and kind.  I was the arrogant rude girl, I always kept my head down and hardly ever spoke, maybe it could be different here.

Julien came up behind me, wrapped his arms around my stomach and kissed my neck. I laughed and turned around, he pouted at my rejection.

"No, not here. I want the people to have a good first impression of me"

He sighed and picked me up, I laughed as he spun me around in his arms

"Fine, but later I will have you"

He growled playfully and a batted his arm as I blushed.

He stayed beside me, as we got closer to the jetty. The rest of the crew let down the black and anchored the boat in the harbor.

I started to step away from him to walk off the ship but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"Promise me you'll stay by my side"

He gave me a pleading look and I rolled my eyes

"fine"

He grabbed my hand and we walked down the plank, sailors walked behind us with our trunks and belongings

As soon as we stepped off of the worn wood of the dock we were immersed in the town. The streets were lined with block-like houses made of cream sand stoned and topped with green roof top gardens.