Chapter 10 - Sand Snakes

I paced up and down my room; I had been waiting for hours for Amira to return to me. The banquet began at sunset and I could already see the golden light of dusk descending. She had left around lunchtime to go help her sick friend in town and she promised that she'd be back in time.

I had gotten another one of the servants to help me get dressed, the bodice of the gown was made of a gold and purple beaded material and the skirt was flowing gold silk with thin violet chiffon over the top. My hand maid had let my hair flow loose with a few small individual braids either side of my head.

I didn't want to arrive at the banquet by myself since I knew I was already a target for joffrey.

Amira ran in suddenly looking flustered and hot.

"Clara please forgive me, Lamia is so sick and she needed some help with her children.."

"It's alright, we have to hurry though. I don't want to be late for Alexa"

She rushed around, trying to get dressed. Finally when she was wearing a beautiful jade green backless dress we made our way to the banquet hall. All through the castle, the halls had been decorated with garlands of red roses from kings landing and sun lilies from Dorne, symbolizing the joining of the two houses.

I felt so much anxiety as we made our way to the banquet, Joffrey's public display with Margeary had not gone unnoticed and I didn't want any attention to be drawn to myself.

We arrived outside the grand doors of the hall and as we entered a guard announced our presence

"Ladies Amira and Clara of house Martell"

Alexa looked up from a conversation with her brother, Tyrion lannister
and gave us a cheery wave. I rushed over to talk to her and Amira drifted off to find Oberyn.

"Alexa I'm so sorry, Amira was occupied elsewhere and I wanted to arrive with her"

She gave me a glowing smile and held both of my hands in hers.

"Clara sweet it's fine, don't worry. No one has even started dancing yet"

I Curtsied to her and then slowly walked away. If I had it my way then I would spend the whole evening with her but I knew engagement banquets were often perfect places for leaders to make new allies so I didn't want to waste her time.

I stood at the edge of the room and looked at the banquet at large, the tables had been laid with red and gold table cloths and ropes of intertwined cloth had been hung around the room.

I was scanning the room for a place to sit when I felt a tug at my skirts; I looked down to find one of Oberyn's daughters, with her thumb in her mouth, looking up at me with big wide eyes. I bent down to her level so she might feel more comfortable.

"Hello little one, what is your name?"

"Loreza"

She spoke in an angels voice, not even taking her thumb out of her mouth. My heart went out to the little one, probably not much older than I was when my mother died, and she would have the same child hood as me, never knowing the love of a mother. I hoped that Alexa would treat them as if they were her own.

I tentatively reached out my hand and smoothed a black curl behind her ear, I didn't want to scare her, she already looked so small and fragile, without warning she threw herself into my arms. She curled up close to me and tucked her head into my neck.

I saw Amira stand up a few tables away, scanning the room with a panicked expression, I gave her a small wave to catch her attention and she calmed down when she saw the tiny little sand snake In my arms.