Chapter 30 - Decisions

Hello Everyone!!

i'm sorry i've been so slack with updating lately, the stress of starting school has really gotten to me and it's gotten hard to find some free time or inspiration.

I hope you all like this chapter and i'd really appreciate it if you voted and commented.

love you xx

The morning came when it was finally time for me to leave.

 I awoke nestled in Julien’s arms, my head resting on his chest. I didn’t want to get up and face the day so i dawdled. Laying there for a few minutes watching Julien sleep and listening to the sound of his breath, hopefully if the seven smiled upon us then our children would look like him

His face had a soft look, gentle and handsome but his eyes were intense and dark. Many thought that I was a beauty but my high cheek bones and a narrow nose made my face look angular and harsh.

The crunch of horse’s hooves pulled me out of bed. I couldn’t put this off any longer, the whole night I could barely get the thoughts of dragons and targaeryan queens out of my head. I stood up slowly, it was difficult to get out of bed with my large stomach while not awaking Julien but I’d become rather a master of it.

I padded across the floor, hugging my arms and shivering.  The rooms here at Winterfell were drafty in the mornings before the fires were lit. While I slipped into a thick furred robe that Rowenna had leant me, my new ladies maid slipped in.

She was the Taylor’s daughter who had arrived to live with me over a week ago and she’d adjusted quickly. Even though I’d gotten used to her face by now her beauty never ceased to take my breath away.  (above Picture)

She was already dressed in a thick, floor-length, green gown with a matching cloak and headpiece, her mother must have made it as a good luck present.

She curtsied in silence and hurried to dress me, when we  would finally arrived after days of riding to meet Princess Elliana I would once again be buckled and strapped into stiff formal gowns, so for now I dress for comfort.

I chose a soft violet dress that had been a gift from Catlyn stark. Instead of hugging my baby bump the supple material feel gracefully around me and didn’t require many undergarments. Katia also brought me a hooded grey cloak and boots to match.

As Katia tightened the tie of the cloak around my neck Julien stirred, rubbed his eyes and sat up. As the passing night had been my last, Julien and I had spent the whole night tangled up in each other.

So unfortunately as he sat up, the sheet’s shifted to reveal him stark naked. Katia’s blue eyes bulged out of her head and she blushed scarlet, suddenly she seemed very interested in intently clasping my cloak.

I gave Julien a glare and he held back laughter at the sight of the poor innocent girl, she was now going cross eyed and her fingers red from focusing so hard on the clasp.

I gently placed my hand on her shoulder and she jumped.

“I can do the rest from here, I’ll meet you down at the carriage” I murmured, she gave a small curtsy  and a strange nod that was vaguely in Julien’s direction before she scurried out of the room.

The second the door shut Julien burst into laughter, I walked over to him and lightly smacked him on the arm but this did nothing to deter him.

Even by the time I had convinced him to dress he was still chuckling under his breath.

+++

We walked down to the courtyard together in silence. The weight of my departure hanging over us like a dark cloud.

Robb and Rosella met as in the entrance hall, along with the kings council.

“Clara, I cannot express my gratitude for you doing this. I’m sure you will return home in time for the birth of your child” he nodded in thought, I could tell his mind was occupied with battle plans and strategic ideas, so Julien and I walked on.

The carriage was ready, along with a small battalion of Stark Guards on horseback. Katia frowned at Julien, a small crease denting her delicate forehead.

She clearly didn’t see Julien as a higher rank then her, more like equals,  I liked that about her. Hopefully her strength would help me in the weeks to come.

I turned to face Julien, it had started snowing again and white flakes were caught in his dark eyelashes.

“I won’t be gone long, Robb will put you to good use here and I’ll be perfectly protected. I’ll keep you in my heart, I hope you do the same”

He nodded and while I reached up to kiss him, he placed his hands on my stomach. I wish I could tell him what Camille had told me, but I didn’t want him to think the worst leading up to the birth, incase i…

I turned and walked away from him, drawing out my departure would just make it harder.

As I nestled into the comfortable seating of the carriage I allowed a warm tear to slide down my cheek.

But I wiped it away Before Katia could see.

+++

The first day of travel was the hardest, the snowfall had gotten heavier and the wheels of our carriage and the horses ahead of us pushed slowly through the thick snow that blanket the road.

So I wasn’t surprised when we stopped, after almost eight hours on the road I was more than ready to stretch my legs.

But something was different, there was no sound of dismounting men or unbuckling of horses. Everything was silent until one noise broke through, the shouting of a man.

I opened the door and poked out my head, my breath rising in puffs of vapour.

Someone was riding towards us, growing from a dark spot against the snow to the shape of horse and rider.

He finally reached us, the horse frothing at the mouth and his rider blue in the face from the cold.

“Lady Clara!! Raven From Master Julien!! His grandfather Lord Fowler Has died!” He slipped off his horse, eyes rolling back into his head. Katia muffled her scream with her gloved hand. But I calmy re-entered the carriage, leaving the messenger to the gaurds.

Now I needed strength, would my duty be to my king, or my husband?