FINAL CHAPTER: The Farther, The Better

Chapter 30: The Farther, The Better

No one had noticed me and Pyren in the tiger's cage. No one could understand how it escaped. The poor beast was killed on the night of the Pinnacle, but not before he ate a hefty meal of glowing young nobility.

Lord Dolev Eloroan was imprisoned in the Somaer dungeon where he awaited trial as the story of his plot reached the rest of the Fel family.

Lady Liora Somaer told a remarkable story about her escape from Lord Eloroan's failed coup. She never mentioned a man controlling the spectres, because that would be a tale impossible to believe. If she knew it was me who saved her, she never revealed my involvement.

The states of the north voted unanimously to reinstate the king over Vynam and be a unified kingdom under his rule. The failed coupe added a sense of urgency. If in a single night the heads of the strongest families in Vynam could be wiped out, that meant all families were vulnerable on their own.

It was then that Lady Liora Somaer came in with Lady Nava's identity. The houses would never back someone as strong as Liora as queen, but an outcast from Somaer who was a true descendent of the Jura line of kings was a choice all could agree to.

The Masquerade was finally drawing to a close.

"Lady Aspertin? You wished to see me?" said Thiba Faladric clutching her hands nervously as she stood in the open doorway of what was now, as the head of the Cervi, my study.

I was sitting behind the oak desk that had belonged to Alik Aspertin with a pen in hand. My steward, who had also belonged to Alik Aspertin, sat in the same chair Lady Golia occupied on the night she was arrested.

"Yes, Lady Thiba. Do come in."

Fidgeting slightly, Thiba took a few careful steps into the study, eying the steward warily.

"Close the door and have a seat," I said.

***

Thiba bumped into her own chair when she rose to her feet, nearly falling to the floor. I allowed the steward to arrange the documents in order as I rushed to help her. There were yet a few pieces of furniture in the room and I had a feeling Thiba would bump into all of them before long.

"I... thank you Lady Aspertin," she stammered again for the millionth time. She barely made it to the door. Then she paused, straightening her back. "Can I... may I ask you something?"

"Of course," I said.

"Why me?" She squeezed her hands together. "I'm not... I'm not even a first born. And everyone says I've got silly fancies and... I'm not pretty... and—"

"Thiba," I said in a low voice. "Your list of shortcomings is smaller than your virtues. I don't want to hear you utter another bad word about yourself. Understood?"

Her ears turned crimson at my words. She gasped in a breath. "Yes, my lady."

She turned and opened the door.

Lord Waryn Eloroan was standing there and Thiba emitted a startled squeak before stammering a hurried greeting and rushing away.

"I'm assuming that's your heir..." Waryn said.

"I don't like to leave loose strings."

"Interesting choice." He looked at the steward who was knocking together the papers and cleared his throat.

The steward carefully arranged the papers inside a leather folder.

"Lord Mannan," I said. "You may leave."