Chapter 32: Two-Timing

"So that's how it is," Pyren said, rubbing his chin. I stared into the fire, my thoughts going in circles. He looked satisfied with my work, but I needed to find a way to overpower him.

"If I don't play along, they'll suspect," I said. "I'll risk losing their trust completely."

Pyren crossed his arms. "Then play along. The result will be to our favour. It's a done deal. What I want you to focus on, Yael, is to keep Waryn away from the conclave. No matter what, he cannot show his presence there."

"Why?" I asked.

Pyren frowned. He hated questions.

"Sorry," I said at once. Pyren wasn't asking me to kill anyone. All I had to do was keep Waryn away from a meeting he wasn't even supposed to attend.

I could do that much, even though it made absolutely no sense.

***

Lord Ian Kiri's belly was large enough to contain several babies. His five chins wobbled when he spoke with Lord Aspertin, waving his wineglass theatrically.

"These Masquerades have to stop," he said. "It's never good when we all come together. Look how many of our children we have lost. Murder, conspiracy, it's like that every time." What Waryn and Leah told me, the more I thought of it, the truer it became. Aspertin had killed my parents as a favour to another lord. He did it to create an alliance—this alliance, with the Kiri. The one that would enable him to claw his way to kinghood.

I tried to look at Lord Ian Kiri and see the man who took everything from me. I looked around the salon, at his three remaining children gathered round us.

I would continue what Leah started. I would make him suffer the same pain I suffered.

We all wore the white clothes of mourning, to honour the dead even though this was a celebration.

"This union wouldn't have happened without the Masquerade, Ian," said Lord Aspertin. "It's a small consolation to us bereaved parents that our children can find joy."

"Yes," Lord Ian Kiri said with a bow of his head, his chins folding in on each other. "At least there's that."

"Are you alright?" Mica whispered to me. I put on my smile for him, an adoring one that could melt hearts. After Emil gave me the third dose of serum, it was so easy to charm. Even Leah's gaze always lingered on me with an increasing softness.

It was easier to tolerate one so beautiful, as I was with so much serum in me.

"I want it to be spring already," I said, taking his hand.

"Spring will come fast now that we have something to anticipate," he said.

"Where's that steward of yours, Alik?" asked Lord Kiri.

"He will be here any minute," replied Lord Aspertin. He met my gaze and sent an approving smile my way. Lord Aspertin was impressed by how fast I moved on my prize. I wondered why he never shared with Afali or Dylana his plans to be king. Perhaps he didn't want his daughters involved, until the title was his.

But I thought again about his choice to make Dylana his daughter. The more I twisted it inside my mind, the more I realised that he had seen through me the opportunity of exchanging an alliance with the Canid to one with the more powerful Kiri.

I thought of my revenge against him. I almost didn't have to do anything. His only daughter was dead, murdered, his wife he himself imprisoned.

But what I was to do next would doubtlessly enrage him. I would take the crown right when he thought he had it.