Chapter 21: Desperation

During my tenth spring, papà had locked up the vineyard and taken mamma, Marin and myself to the village of Semuru inside the forest of Adoran Palel. It was where my mother was born.

We travelled for three days along the Dalprina way, and finally entered the forests.

Adoran Palel was one of four forests that made up The Adorans. They were wild and ancient forests, so crowded with plant-life that saplings grew out of bigger trees and wide-leafy plants covered the trails if not walked on for mere hours. The air was moist, and the sound of buzzing and rustling came from everywhere.

The moment I entered the forest, I wanted to escape back to the tame world I had left. There was too much life in this place, and it either wanted to eat me, or kill me—or both. It was a miserable time for me. Nothing was in my control. I couldn't appreciate the abundance of sweet fruit, and starchy roots or the rapidly flowing river that was so swollen with fish, one could find food just by reaching out.

I was bored by Semuru. Nothing was done quickly, no one laboured too hard and there was complete disregard towards gold and silver, as if there, deep inside the wild forest, these people had everything they needed.

My father was enchanted. He spent hours drinking fragrant Milliweed tea inside the netted tent, talking and talking with the elders. He repeatedly asked my mother why she left, and even suggested we all move back.

My insect bites had insect bites, I was constantly too warm. I could not breath properly in the humid air and on our first day there, a great green beast with snapping jaws and thousands of sharp teeth had jumped out of the water and attempted to eat Marin and me. The villagers who had seen us did nothing to help, they just laughed and laughed as we huddled, weeping, on the branch of a tree, only to be startled by a bright green serpent that came to inspect us.

I could not describe the extent of my relief when mamma, who had been in high spirits and cuddled with papà like two young lovers for the first few days of our visit, decided that we had to return to Thalmina. Something painful had surfaced in her heart, something that had driven her out of the peaceful Semuru.

I never asked what it was. I didn't care. I was happy to be back where I felt I belonged.

That was the farthest I went from Thalmina. Even though later, when I became an apprentice, I dreamt of seeings all of Vynam. I dreamt of leaving the place where I was most comfortable, but had never travelled farther than the forest.

I was never in a rush to meet my dreams.

***

The first city we visited was Saila, the city of pink crystals in the heart of the state of Acavia. When I saw the Phasa—the highest neighbourhood of Saila—I was impressed by the tens of thousands of pink crystal roses that decorated every banister, wall and lamppost. The streets of the Bellu market smelt fragrant, and the people there wore bright colours against their beautiful ebony skin—reds, pinks, violets—even at the approach of winter.

I wore a pastel violet dress with soft white fur at the collar. It was in accordance with Acavia fashions.

Lady Leah Acavia looked like I had looked during my visit to Semuru. Her suffering increased with every second. In Tilamadra, home to the Acavia family, we were met with her husband, Lord Yoav Kiri of house Usi. He was a small man with porcelain-skin and ringlets of shimmering yellow hair that bounced when he walked. His eyes were small too, set far apart on his face, beneath thick eyebrows.

He was unattractive and looked on coldly when Leah's greeting fell flat. I felt sorry for Leah. How had she fallen into such a marriage with a man who clearly despised her? Leah looked at Nava whenever she thought no one noticed. Nava did a better job at hiding whatever was happening between them.