Chapter 34: Maiden

Start from the beginning

And she would have told me everything that day when I saw her last.

But why would Pyren give me this information, even if it was a lie?

I looked at the maiden mask, meant to resemble a spectre, my thoughts following the path of this new hint.

To believe it, I had to trust someone who betrayed me.

If it was a lie, then I would be led to wherever Pyren wished to lead me.

If it was the truth, it filled all the pieces I was missing from the picture.

I assaulted the box, sifting through the packaging. But there was no written message. Nothing but this mask.

***

Three spectres spun around me in a circle, searching for my beacon and never quite reaching it. It was early for the ball, but I was already dressed and ready.

My dark green dress was of a severe cut, the cloth closing even around my neck, as per Lord Aspertin's instructions. I was not to look interesting or appealing because I would not be presented as eligible this ball. I merely had to attend because it would be rude to our hosts not to.

"The most important thing," Emil said. "Is never to stray from the path. That man that takes you... he isn't attuned to the paths. He forces his way through. You must rise when the path rises, you must twist and change with it. It will not hurt you."

He explained the risks to me, again and again after he gave me the fourth and final dose of serum. I was ready, and even if I wasn't, even if I failed, there was no other choice.

I reached for the nearest spectre, but hesitated.

"Don't be afraid. I'll follow you." Emil said.

I took the spectre's hand. Like Emil taught me, I projected myself into her, not the unnamed essence she craved, but the part of me that could keep it out of her grasp. Then I collected the second spectre, and felt the beginning of strain behind my ears. But I still had to collect the third.

There was a brief moment, I thought my control was slipping, but whatever it was, I passed it and it was time for the next part.

I felt the direction of where I wanted to go. To that place where Pyren took me, where Marin was being held. Because I already visited that place, I could feel the path directing me towards it. I could also feel the path Pyren took.

I drew myself through the spectres and down that path—like passing through a soft veil—and then I was in the circular room with the black flagstones at the top of the tower. I put my mask back on. I didn't wear an inner mask today.

Emil was standing beside me, as if neither of us had ever moved. It didn't feel like travel—it didn't feel like anything.

But there was an expression on his face which I had never seen.

He brought his hand to his ear, as if it ached him. "This place is evil," he said.

Those were Marin's same words.

"Do you think this will work?" I asked him.

"It will," he said.

I flew down the spiralling staircase and ran down the long dark corridor. Like before, the place was silent. The only sound was the rustling of my gown and the tap of my slippers.

With a wave of gratification, I realised that I remembered where Marin's room was. I opened the door, my heart jumping to my throat.

The girl in the bed looked starved. Her dark hair was just as tangled and she was dressed in a white shift. She was lying still, eyes closed. She didn't lift her head to look at me.