Author's Note: 2019

THIS STORY IS BEING DISCONTINUED.

It's been six years since I last posted, but every now and then I still check this story. I made a throwaway account to post this story because, even at the time, I was genuinely embarrassed that I was writing it and I knew I didn't want it on my main account. 

So every time I check, I'm continuously surprised to see how many people are still reading this thing in 2019. (Seriously, how are you people still finding this story? It's been six years?) The popularity of this story doesn't sit right with me, because it's only two small chapters, and it's not good (both in the writing alone, as well as the themes). After six years, I've finally decided that I have to get this weight off my chest. While I kind of expect this note to get no traction, I still hope it reaches some people, somehow.

I was eleven when I wrote this story. I was young and naive, and frankly a hopeless romantic. I asked my mom if I could sign up for Wattpad, and she said yes so long as I didn't talk to strangers. So I started reading books, and I found the romance section. I got addicted, sucked into the Wattpad version of romance and love. I'm eighteen now, I'm still young and naive, but I've grown enough to realize some things.

I haven't frequented this place in years, even on my main account, so maybe things have changed; but from the popular stories being turned into movies, I think it's mostly stayed the same. That's why I feel confident enough to make these critiques.

There's something disturbing about the culture of this website. It's especially prevalent in romance stories targeted towards teens. These stories overwhelming present unhealthy, toxic relationships as romantic and sexy, something to be adored and praised. The whole "bad boy" trope presents a boy or man who is angry, violent, and can only be fixed by the love of a woman, who must endure his toxic traits and behavior out of some obligation to fix him.

The problem with this story is a problem widespread in the werewolf genre on Wattpad, which is a genre basically dedicated to the bad boy trope. (It's also prevalent in the general romance genre, and YA as a whole outside of this website.) The woman or girl may be the main character and narrator, but her role in the story only serves the male character, both literally and figuratively. She is the alpha's mate, and nothing else, or at least nothing that's important. His wants and needs are above hers so that when she objects to his advances (if she ever even does at all), the narrative villainizes her, and she eventually caves in the end.

The moment she gives in is seen as a victory, for the man and the audience, and suddenly everything he had done to get her to acquiesce is okay and justified. They're meant to be, after all. His behavior isn't violent or creepy, but instead the product of his overwhelming love, or perhaps he had a fucked up childhood and so that gives him the excuse to abuse others.

That's not right. Toxic, abusive behavior should not be romanticized. A man should respect your boundaries. He should not stalk you, he should not claim ownership over you, he should not pursue you after you've said no. He should treat you like a human being. There is no excuse for acting any other way.

The title alone is cringe-worthy. "My Possessive Alpha Mate." Not only is it uninspired and unoriginal, but it's just... horrible. Possessiveness is not a good trait in anyone you want a healthy relationship with, romantic or not. Your friends should not be possessive of you, your family members should not be possessive of you, your significant other should not be possessive of you. It's not pleasant, nor is it healthy. It is not admirable or romantic.

While the title is bad, the story is even worse. The way Kylie is a slave to her hormones, the way Mitch was ready to mark her in public, without her consent. The way he follows her when she runs away, the way he flirts in the most creepy and unpleasant way possible... It's all so very reminiscent of the bad boy trope and the concerning trends within young adult romance. I only got two chapters into this story, so it didn't get the chance to go as far as most stories on this website, but it was very much being set up that way (literally just look at the title). Even if it didn't go all the way, I still feel responsible for contributing to this culture of unhealthy relationships, and the way people have responded to positively - the fact this story got so popular at all - just makes me feel bad about it. This story never had any potential because its very foundations are based on something disturbing.