Two Reasons For Being Terrified

Start from the beginning

"Goodnight Aunt May." I shut the door behind her, turned out the lights, and walked solemnly to my bed to get some much-needed rest.

I texted Harley:

I kind of got in trouble but everything worked out. I can't sneak out anymore though, it's hurting my aunt too much.

He didn't respond for a while so I assumed he was asleep and put my phone away, then slowly drifted off to sleep.

I awoke, a few hours later, to my phone ringing at full blast. I jumped awake and fumbled around on my desk for my phone, still half-asleep.

TONY STARK

Oh shoot.

I answered it, my eyes drooping and heavy. "Hello?"

"Hey, Pete. We need you at the tower ASAP. Something's happening."

My eyes widened and I shifted. "Is everything okay?"

"Just make it here as quick as you can." He hung up.

My heart dropped to my feet and I quickly and anxiously put my suit on. It felt like there was a stone in my chest. What could it possibly be this time?

I was about to make an exit out of my window when I remembered the promise I had made to Aunt May. I groaned and ran to her room. I didn't bother to knock.

"May!" I whispered loudly, after bursting into her bedroom.

"Peter- what?" She yawned and rubbed her eyes. "What's going on?"

"I have to go to the tower. The team needs me, I think something is happening."

"Oh my God, oh my God," she jumped out of bed and wrapped me in her arms. "Please be safe, Peter. Please don't do anything stupid, stay with the team, please don't-"

"Aunt May, I'll be fine, I promise. You have to let me go." She sighed and released me from her mama bear grip. "I love you," she kissed my forehead.

"I love you too. I'll be okay and I'll see you soon."

"Okay." There was worry in her voice. I closed my eyes as I shut her door behind me. "I'm going to be okay," I whispered to reassure myself.

Running on about three hours of sleep, I swung my way to the tower, scanning everything below me to see if anything seemed odd or out of place. Everything looked fine. Which made things worse.

I landed on the tower and basically catapulted myself down the stairs from the rooftop to floor 97. "Peter," Tony grabbed me as soon as I busted through the door and led me to a bustling conference room. "Take a seat."

Nobody was sitting though. Everyone was in full gear: Steve with his shield and patriotic suit, Natasha in all black with her guns and knives, Thor with his hammer in his hand, blue lightning crackling in his eyes.

Doctor Strange, Wanda, and Bruce were in a corner. They seemed to be having a debate over something. Clint and Natasha were watching them worriedly while Thor, Sam, and Bucky were just awestruck at all the chaos around them. Even T'Challa and Shuri were here. "QUIET!" Nick Fury boomed from the front of the room. Everyone silenced themselves instantly. "Sit down." We all sat down quickly.

"First things first," he addressed, "is everyone here?"

"Everyone is here, sir." Tony answered.

"Great. Is everyone ready for battle?"

We all nodded. "Good. Does everyone know what's going on?"

Only a few people nodded: Doctor Strange, Shuri, Bruce, Tony, and T'Challa.

"For those of you that don't know," Fury's voice deepened, "the aliens that were previously on Earth are coming back." There was a hushed murmur but was quickly put to rest by Fury. "To our knowledge, they left their planet, Skrullos, yesterday at approximately 9:00 in the morning our time. That means they're almost here. We don't know what exact time to be expecting them, but we need to stay alert. Do not let your guard down." He lowered his head. "Depending on the size of their army, Earth could be destroyed."

Tony's eyes were fearful. I had heard about what happened to him in 2012, when the other aliens invaded Earth, but I didn't quite understand it. Still, I couldn't imagine what he had to go through and what he's going through right now.

"Do we need a battle plan?" Wanda asked.

"We don't know the size of their army, the kind of weapons they're carrying, or their natural superpowers, so I'm afraid that would be pointless," Fury pointed out.

I was scared. It took us months just to catch one of these alien guys and he escaped before we could put him in containment. How were we going to fight hundreds, maybe even thousands, of them off? What would happen if we failed?

Is one of us going to die? Are all of us doing to die? My invading thoughts were swirling around in my mind. My anxiety was on high and I felt my heartbeat getting faster and faster. I must have looked worried because Tony nudged me as Fury continued to talk. "Hey," he whispered so nobody could hear him except me, "you okay?"

"Mhm," I nodded. "I'm good."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm fine really."

It looked like he was going to stop talking and turn back to Fury but then he changed his mind and leaned in closer to where I could hear him. "You know," he said, "it's okay to be scared. I'm scared, too. We'll be alright."

I nodded, taking a deep breath and reassuring myself.

Everything is going to be okay.

{A/N hey everyone, thank you for reading. this coming week is finals week so I'm super stressed out and trying to get all my work done while keeping up with bunches of different crap so writing this chapter was a good way for me to destress and not think about school. if you're also going through finals week, which I'm sure most of you are, just do your best, study, and I'm sure you'll do great! the semester is almost over. anyway, don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me!}

bye for now

•1,688 words•