The day of confrontation

I never appreciated myself for my patience until that whole Sunday I spent with my infuriating neighbor. Nobody asked him to work to the bone and get sick, but that man brooded the entire day, snarling at me for taking his tablets, eating food, and whatnot, as though I made him fall ill. So on Monday morning, when Rosie came back on an early morning flight, to say I felt relieved would be an understatement. Raul was deep asleep when I came back to my house. Since he was in Rosie's care, I didn't worry about him after that.

That day, we had a cultural collaboration event at the Indian embassy, and many foreign office executives from other countries were present. Because it was a cultural event, I wore a sari. There were many conferences throughout the day, and it ended with a party for all ambassadors, foreign office executives, and diplomats. In all the five months I had worked there, I never attended any casual party that I was invited to as I never liked the concept of mixing work with pleasure. It was the first time I saw people getting drunk at an office party as the night grew old. The happenings at the party got too wild for my taste, so I decided to go home.

As I stood the entire evening in a corner at the back of the party hall, I had to pass through throngs of people to go towards the main exit door. Suddenly, when I was some twenty steps away from the door, someone grabbed me by my waist, and I froze in the spot. There was a crowd near the door, blocking the way.

So I looked at the hand on my waist sideways and saw Japan's Ambassador to Brazil, Washi Saito, standing beside me with a cheerful grin. He was the only one at the Ambassador level who was considerably young, as others were well beyond fifty or sixty. He was forty-five, and I didn't know whether he was married or not. For someone who was unwantedly touching another, he looked unapologetic and, from the expression on his face, clearly expected me to welcome his action. Only when he realized his advance was not encouraged, as I gave a deathly glare, did he clamber to remove his hand instantly and move away, putting enough distance between us.

I was about to give him a piece of my mind when suddenly, Raul's assistant Daniel appeared before me and asked, "Miss Bhavishya, I am leaving too. Do you want me to drop you?" I was initially reluctant to take his offer, but then I remembered I had sent Gabriel home, and I had to get a taxi anyway. So I replied, "If it's not trouble for you, then let's go." He immediately said, "No worries Miss Bhavishya, let's go then."

As I headed towards the door, I stopped and turned to give Saito a final warning look. He clearly understood because he gave an apologetic nod and left the party hall. 

 Later that night, Daniel dropped me off at home and I thanked him before saying, "Hey, call me Bhavishya when we're not in the embassy. I'm not that old."

Daniel chuckled and replied, "Oh, it's just an occupational hazard, Bhavishya. I didn't mean to make you feel old, even though you're a bit older than me."

I quickly retorted, "I'm only four years older than you. Stop calling me old and get lost."

 He laughed and said, "Alright, alright. No need to get angry. I'm leaving now, grandma."I raised my foot, pretending to kick his car, when he quickly drove off.

It was nearly ten o'clock when I had a bath and came out of the bathroom. I had kept the AC on in the bedroom while I bathed. So, when I stepped into the room, still wrapped in a bath towel, it was cold. I searched for the remote to switch off the AC, but when I pointed the remote at the AC sensor, it didn't work. I shook it and pointed it at the sensor again, but it still didn't budge. Finally, I climbed onto the bed to switch it off as the switch was high above. The bed wasn't tall enough for me to reach it even while standing on top of it. With no other choice, I went on my tiptoes and tried to touch the switch, balancing myself on the wall. But before I could reach it, my bedroom door opened with a thud, shocking me to the core.