"You have a goofy look on your face and people only ever get that when they're thinking of their crush or someone they love." Brendon replied, and Frank wondered when the hell he became the expert.

"I could be thinking about pizza." He stated seriously, raising his eyebrows.

"Are you?"

Frank chewed his cheek. "Yes."

"Alright." Brendon sighed, fiddling with the tune of the guitar. "Don't tell me who it is." He grinned, striking fear in to Frank's chest. "I'll just guess."

No. Frank's heart plummeted. What if he got it right? What if he told the whole school? What if Gerard got fired and I got expelled? It'd be my fault. Trying to keep his tone level, he stared at Brendon, who furrowed his brows. "Please don't guess."

"Why not?"

"I don't want you to." He answered too quickly.

Brendon nodded, shrugging his shoulders. "Okay. . . I was only joking anyway."

Frank hated to snap at him like that, but a huge part of him didn't care because he was a little terrified. They hadn't done anything, though it was still bloody damn scary to think about because so much could go utterly wrong.

-

Thankfully, after school ended, there was no one else in the art department to hear this:

"Fuck me!"

Brows furrowed, Gerard glanced up, extremely confused. "Frank?"

"That hurt!" He emerged from the hall way, clutching his hand between his knees as he screwed his eyes shut. "I trapped my finger in the fucking door." He was rocking back and forth on his heels, feeling as if his finger was about to fall off. It'd gone numb, yet it tingled and hurt like a bitch at the same time.

"Oh." Gerard whispered because he'd not been expecting that from Frank's sudden outburst. "Are you alright?"

Shaking his head, Frank looked at him exasperatedly and answered with as much sarcasm as his pain would allow. "Yes, totally fine. This is what fine looks like."

Even though he was concerned, Frank's attitude made him laugh. "Alright, Smart Ass, if you say so."

Frank frowned. "No," He whined playfully, "you're supposed to help."

"I don't know what you want me to do." Pressing his lips in to a thin line, Gerard shrugged, getting up off the desk and slowly walking towards him. "Want me to kiss it better?"

Despite the fact Frank knew it was a joke, he took the offer. It wasn't where he wanted it to be, but it was still a kiss -given by the one and only Mr Way. "Yes, please." He pouted, holding his hand out.

Regardless that he too knew it was a joke, Gerard did it anyway. Carefully, he took Frank's hand and placed the gentlest kiss to it that he had ever felt. It made them feel like they were in a typical Disney film. "There." He smiled softly. "All better?"

Frank blinked, a bit surprised. "Thank you." Fighting off the urge to grab Gerard's face and kiss him for real, he swallowed the lump in his throat. "I-I appreciate the gesture, but this still hurts."

Gerard ran his fingers through his hair. "If you go to reception, they'll give you some ice. They have a first aid kit."

Ice did sound good, but an asshole called anxiety told him otherwise. "I-I'd rather not."

"Do you want me to go for you instead?"

Finally, someone understood his actual -very real, not what other people thought stupid- fear of social interaction. He smiled gratefully. "Yes, please."

Flashing a grin, Gerard left, then returned ten minutes later. While he was gone, Frank had taken the time to attempt to fix his messy hair, slip off his bag and hoodie and settle on the edge of one of the tables. He rested his chin on his uninjured hand, eyes sparkling as Gerard re-entered the room.

Gerard sat down beside Frank, seemingly as close as possible, and wrapped the ice pack around his finger.

Shamelessly, Frank watched Gerard through a curtain of hair, noticing a few facial ticks, like the way his tongue poked out of the corner of his mouth when he concentrated, or how his nose twitched occasionally.

What Frank failed to notice was that Gerard had eventually turned to look right back at him. "Why're you staring at me?"

Blinking hard, he shook his head. "Uhm, no reason? I-I'm tired."

"Oh, well," Gerard bit his lip, an unreadable expression on his face. "It should be fine."

"What should?"

"Your hand?" He chuckled.

"Oh, right, yeah." Frank glanced away, finding the floor very interesting. "Sometimes I'm too clumsy to function."

"You're an elegant giraffe." Gerard snickered. "But shorter."

"Hey," Frank slapped his arm, "Stop holding that over my head. You're only two inches taller. If that."

He tapped him on the nose. "And don't you forget it."

[Published 13 December 2019]
I'm updating a lot because I have no life :))