"Come on." Frank wrapped an arm around Gerard's waist because he was certain if he didn't he'd topple over. "Let's get you inside."

Silently, Gerard nodded, allowing himself to be guided like a child. He put the back of his hand over his mouth, and Frank thought he might be sick, but nothing happened as they traipsed up the stairs -they'd had to use the fire exit that Gerard had used to get out and had propped open with a heavy rock from only God knew where.

It would have been pitch black in the art rooms if it weren't for the bright street lamps flooding a yellow light in. They could barely make out the outlines of the furniture, which made taking care of Gerard a whole lot harder.

"Is school on?" Frank asked as he sat Gerard down in a chair, wondering if the intelligent part of his brain still worked under the influence.

He shrugged. "I don't know."

"Who else is here?" Frank grabbed Gerard's denim jacket and helped him in to it. Even though he didn't feel cold, his body still reacted to it. It was difficult as Gerard was totally zoned out and no help whatsoever.

Eyes drifting shut, Gerard just shrugged again. "Me 'n' janitors, I think."

Thank God, Frank thought, breathing a sigh of relief. He didn't want to have to explain why Gerard was seemingly too drunk to function.

"How much have you had? To drink, I mean." He asked hesitantly, sitting in a chair opposite.

Leaning forwards, Gerard put his hands on his knees as he gazed at Frank, smiling his adorable small-toothed smile. "As much as I can handle."

Maybe that wasn't a lot and Gerard was a total lightweight, but Frank wasn't so sure.

He sighed. "Wait here." He stood up to fetch a cup of hot coffee from the staff room to try and sober him up, but Gerard grabbed his hand before he could. He blinked, glancing at their hands. "What?"

"Don't leave me." He looked genuinely sad and Frank instantly caved.

"I won't." Plus, he just remembered the power was out and the coffee machine wouldn't work anyway. Now, he had no idea what to do. He couldn't take Gerard home, he couldn't drive a car, and he didn't fancy trudging down the streets with a tipsy Gerard clinging on to his arm.

Smile growing wider, Gerard placed a hand on Frank's chest, the other resting over his belt buckle. He pushed him back until he was up against the wall, and Frank got vivid pictures of his dream flashing through his mind. The roles were reversed this time, and he briefly wondered if things such as premonitions were real, though that wasn't what his mind should have been fixating on.

Like dream-Gerard had been, Frank was shocked, staring wide eyed. "Gee." He swallowed the lump in his throat, moving Gerard's hands to be by his sides instead. He was worried that if Gerard kept going, he wouldn't have stopped him.

"Call me sir." He slurred, unsteady on his own feet.

Apparently, drunk Gerard was flirty as fuck. Usually, Frank would have enjoyed it -or rather he was enjoying it- but he didn't want this right now; not while Gerard wasn't actually himself.

"Gerard." Frank said sternly. "You need to rest."

"What?" He giggled, biting his lip. "You can't handle me?"

Goddamnit. Frank wanted nothing more than to kiss him because he'd literally fantasized about it -he wasn't quite sure this was real either. However he was still thinking straight, unlike the idiot who was insensible enough to get wasted at school.

"No," He raised his eyebrows, "You can't handle you."

"I'm fiiine." On cue, he tripped, crashing in to Frank and slamming him against the wall again.

Slightly annoyed that he couldn't give in, Frank groaned and gripped Gerard by the shoulders, leading him to the chair at the teacher's desk. "No you're not."

"I am."

"I'm not going to argue."

"Then just agree w'me and that a-avoided." Gerard grinned, reaching out for Frank, who reluctantly snapped back.

"No." He stated firmly. "You're hammered." Frank brushed the hair away from Gerard's face. His eyes were closed and lips parted as he seemed to be losing consciousness.

This time he didn't answer. Gerard's head rolled back and he slouched, meaning Frank had to grab him before he dropped to the floor. Sighing, he attempted to move him in to a more comfortable position by folding his arms so they were tucked under his chin as he was now lying more on his side -well, as much as he could lie in a chair.

It was nearly nine o'clock in the morning and no one else had showed up for lessons. Clearly it'd been broadcasted somehow that the building was closed, or perhaps the snow had blocked off the roads, or it was blatantly obvious because there was no power.

"You idiot." Frank mumbled, perching on the edge of Gerard's desk to watch over him.

-

When Gerard woke up, he was as expected -dazed, drowsy and a little confused.

For the past five hours, Frank had remained in the art rooms, praying that no one came in, which they didn't, though he'd heard voices a few hours ago. He'd continued revising while taking care of Gerard, who had occasionally snored or muttered in his sleep.

At one point, Gerard had nearly slid off the chair. Fortunately, Frank had managed to catch him and lower him to the floor so there was no chance of falling off again.

Currently, they were both huddled together on the floor in the corner. Gerard's head was resting on Frank's shoulder, one arm around his waist, the other tucked under his chin. Somehow their legs had gotten intertwined, through no fault of Frank's (yeah, right), and Gerard's leg was splayed over his, the other bent up awkwardly, which had become a good book rest for Frank because he was still reading through his English notes.

Finally, when Gerard did actually wake up, he awoke in the middle of a coughing fit. He shot up, one hand over his mouth.

Just in time, Frank grabbed the paper bin because a moment later, Gerard was coughing up watered down breakfast with alcohol in to it. Frank combed the hair away from Gerard's face while he gripped the edges of the bin, hands shaking.

"It's alright." Frank found himself saying gently over and over because he had no idea what else to do.

Eventually, Gerard's coughing ceased to retching, which sounded awful and Frank half expected his lungs to come up.

Sweaty and paler than usual, Gerard fell back against the wall, clutching his stomach. After snatching some paper towels, Frank knelt beside him and wiped his mouth for him.

"How-how do you feel?" He asked quietly, searching Gerard's face for an answer, but all he did was look at him with tired, half lidded eyes. "Is there anything I can get you?"

"Just-" He took a deep breath, allowing his eyes to close. "Stay with me."

Nodding, Frank wrapped an arm around him as Gerard buried his head in the crook of Frank's neck. He was burning, yet shivering and Frank guessed it wasn't a little or just today that he'd been drinking.

[Published 12 December 2019]