33: Show Only Repentance

Comincia dall'inizio

"Maybe she's right, I don't know," I sighed in defeat, "I don't know anything about morals."

"She's still heading out, working, you know," he rushed his words, almost tripping over them.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly as he marched past me, "I'm sorry about all of this."

"She ain't been back for a few hours," he said, looking down the street, "She left with some feller down the railway tracks, I did not like the look of him."

"Which way you say?" I asked, heading for Roach again.

"That way, towards Willard's Rest," he pointed.

"I'll see what I can do," I mounted up, heading in the direction he said without hesitation.

It didn't take long to find her, she hadn't gone too far, but it was far enough that you had to search to find her.

She was with a man who had her with her back to the tree. I didn't have to be anywhere near them to see how uncomfortable Mrs Downes was looking, the guy was basically pressed up against her.

"I ain't a baddie, I ain't..." I heard him saying.

"That's enough now, partner," I approached, and I heard a sigh of relief from Mrs Downes, "You're starting to scare me, let alone the poor woman. Clear off!"

"And who are you?" he asked, turning to me.

"Someone who don't wanna hear no more of your nasty mouth," I said, my voice dangerously low, "Push me, and I'll put a bullet in you."

"I presume Archie sent you?" Mrs Downes asked, but I was glaring at the man.

"I said clear off, before I deal with you!" I said, and he finally scarpered off.

I stared until he left before I turned to Mrs Downes.

"Listen," the coughs always came at the most inopportune times, I struggled to get the words out, "Listen to me... Excuse me."

"You sound like my husband," she said as I wiped the blood from my mouth.

"I know," I said, my head sinking down after a pause, "Listen... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for what happened, I was a... a fool. And I'm suffering for my foolishness, but... don't go and get yourself killed because of your pride. You have a son, Mrs Downes!"

"I'm just so ashamed," she said, putting her hand up to her mouth, sobbing.

"Ashamed? Of what? You loved him... did everything for him..." I sighed, "Let's get you home."

"Alright... let's go," I helped her up onto Roach, heading back towards Annesburg.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this," I said quietly.

"Stop saying sorry... sorry won't bring Thomas back," she said, annoyance in her voice.

"I know..." I coughed.

"So you're sick now too, and you think that affords you the opportunity for penance for cutting his time short?" she asked sharply.

"No, I ain't looking for that," I said honestly.

"Okay then, so just forget about me and the guilt you're carrying, because no good can come of that for either of us," she told me, "And all you can do now is decide who you wanna be, for the time you have left. Help someone who can still be helped, or help yourself."

"I suppose you're right," I sighed.

"Or hang yourself, for all I care," I couldn't blame her for her hostility.