8: The Innocence of Guilt

I rode into Strawberry, desperately in need of a drink. I had chosen the furthest away point from Saint Denis that I could, I really was not in the frame of mind to face anyone else.

"Ann! Is that you?" I heard a voice.

"Emil! Didn't think I'd see you again," I laughed, looking at the man I'd saved not a few days ago, "You're looking better."

"I can walk now, so I can't complain," he smiled, "How's life treating you?"

"Aw, about as well as life can," I said, "Any more problems with those Laramie boys?"

"They came a few nights ago, robbed us blind," he sighed, scratching the back of his head, "Not much we can do, 'cept get outta here as soon as we can. Come, let me buy you a drink. We never got much of a chance to speak last we met, I'd like to know you better."

"Well, I don't see why not," I shrugged, "Lead the way."

We sat in the bar for a few hours, just chatting. I told him about me, per his questions, and he told me about himself. I hadn't told him I was a gang member, just that I was something of a traveller myself, being with a big group and all. He and his group were made up of three different families, moving from Germany to America for a new life.

Emil was an interesting man, and he made me smile more than I had in recent times. His stories of their journey from New York down to West Elizabeth were quite something, and he was just a friendly guy altogether. He was one of the only members of his group who could speak English, making their interactions with the Laramie Gang that bit more difficult. The Laramie boys had robbed them multiple times already, but they weren't fighting back. They had no weapons and no training.

I met up with Emil a few times over the next few days, becoming good friends with him. I had booked a hotel room in Strawberry, feeling the need to distance myself from both of my families as much as possible. We shared drinks and laughter, learning more about one another as time passed. Life as a settler was certainly not a life I wanted myself, and I was amazed he was still as kind as he was despite his hardship.

We went riding and fishing, hunting and more drinking. I had decided I had earned a break from Dutch and his shenanigans, and I almost felt like a normal person doing things with Emil, rather than an outlaw on the run from a ridiculous price.

"I'll see if I can't get some of your stuff back for you," I said, standing up suddenly during one of our conversations, "I'll be in and out before they know it, I'll see you back at your camp."

"No, I can't let you do that!" he argued, "You could get killed, I won't let that happen for some stuff!"

"I won't get killed," I shrugged, "Believe me, I've done this before. If they do see me, well, I'll shoot my way out."

"No, it's not happening!" he argued.

"Come with me then, if its that big a deal," I sighed, "But I'm doing this."

So, he came with me. We rode to Hanging Dog Ranch where the Laramie Gang made their base.

"So, I'd wager... it'll be in that house, if they still have your stuff," I whispered to him, "You hang back, I'm gonna sneak in through the window. I'll be in and out before you know it."

"Be careful, Ann," he grabbed my arms, "They're just things, your life is more important."

"I promise," I grinned, "This ain't my first rodeo, Mr Ackermann."

"I don't doubt that, Miss Wright," he laughed, "You're certainly a lady of secrets, ones I figure I don't want to find out. Thank you, again."

"I'll see you soon," I said, crouching down and running towards the house.