11: I Loved Once and True

"Come now, gentlemen," I said slowly as I turned around, "You have the wrong girl."

Three lawmen on horseback were behind me, their guns raised at my head. If it had been two, I would have just shot and run. Three, that was where the problem began. By the time I reloaded one revolver, he'd likely have shot me and that would have been it. Better to just try and blag my way out, I didn't even have the money on me! They couldn't prove anything.

"You just robbed our bank, we ain't wrong," the lawman said as I lowered myself off Roach, "You shoulda run further."

"Check my bag," I said, my arms raised, "I hardly have the sum that comes with robbing a bank on me."

"Check," the first lawman said to the second and he did.

"Fifty dollars, tops," he said, counting my cash.

"We're still taking you in," the first one growled, "We know it was you. You gave it to one of your little friends, and we'll get you to talk."

I was tied and basically dragged back to Valentine. I cursed my carelessness, how would I get out of this one?

They questioned me many times over the next few days, but I didn't budge on my stance. I didn't take part in any robbery, I knew nothing about any gang. They were growing tired, and the town's perspective was that I should hang for my crimes, proven or not.

They set the date, tired of questioning me. I prayed somehow I could get out before that happened. So much for justice, I'd done a lot to deserve a hanging but they had absolutely no proof this time!

Luck was with me, and the day I prayed for came.

"We're gonna hang you, missy," the one lawman watching me laughed and I rolled my eyes.

Suddenly, there was a flash and a loud bang, and I fell off the small bed, the lawman similarly going flying. I coughed, waving the dust away from my face as I stared at the man who had appeared in the new hole to my cell.

"You coming, missy?" Dutch said mockingly, a mask covering his face but I could see the grin in his eyes.

"What kept you?" I asked, pulling myself up and running to him.

"Thought we were finally gonna get to see you swing!" he laughed.

"Charming," I grumbled as he handed me my bag and guns.

"Bet you didn't even realise I snuck in and got them," he winked and I rolled my eyes.

"I ain't living this one down, am I?" I sighed, "The only one who was caught, and I got away fine in the first place."

"You always have been a fool, my girl," he laughed, leading me to where he left the Count and Roach, "We'd best get out of here, that made an awful lot of noise."

"Well, I ain't taking the blame for that part," I said, geeing Roach on.

A bit down the road, we stopped.

"I think we're in the clear," Dutch said.

"Thanks again, Dutch," I said, "How did you know where I was?"

"I've known you almost twenty years, Ann," he said, "When you go missing, I first check the saloon. When you're not there, I check the jail."

"Fair enough," I laughed.

"I'll see you back at camp, we should split up for now," he said, fishing in his pocket, "Stay out of trouble. Lenny gave me this, said it was your share? You're lucky I don't keep it as payment for saving you."