33: Show Only Repentance

"Now you know how it feels to watch someone you love die. You ruined my life!" Sadie growled beside me, and before I knew it, she had slit her captive's throat and shot both Dutch and I's.

All hell broke loose, the O'Driscolls hidden in the vicinity appeared, shooting at us, appearing from seemingly nowhere. I stared in shock between Sadie and the fallen O'Driscolls. Something in that woman had snapped, but I understood her perspective much better. After what I had done in Guarma to those men, well... this seemed like child's play in comparison.

"Shit," yelled Dutch as we threw the bodies down, he grabbed Sadie and dragged her to cover, "Okay, let's go!"

"Die!" Sadie screamed as she shot wildly, I honestly didn't think she'd be the reason I needed to take Arthur.

"Morgan, you hear us? Take a shot on these O'Driscolls!" Dutch yelled.

Dutch couldn't argue with my decision to take Arthur along, for he essentially saved our asses. The number of O'Driscolls that fell by the time we properly got into cover couldn't be credited to anyone but him, and he allowed us the time to get over to the O'Driscolls wagon that they had left behind, and to get out of the city.

"We got him," Dutch said triumphantly, taking the reigns as I climbed in the back, Sadie beside him.

"Let's get outta here," Sadie grumbled as Dutch signalled for Arthur to go.

I felt relief wash over me as Dutch drove us to safety, back to camp. Arthur turned up a while later, he had escaped cleanly as well, and he was back in his own clothes. I walked over to him the moment he arrived, my face stony.

"That went..." he sighed.

"It went," I shook my head, "I thought it'd be Dutch who lost his head."

"Grief does that to a person," he said, "But remind me to never get on her bad side."

I gave a small laugh before a frown came onto my face.

"What's eating you?" Arthur asked, leaning against a tree.

"I..." I sighed, "Mrs Downes. I saw her again, she's in a bad way. It's my fault, something I can't fix, but I tried to do something right... I stopped her son from being beat up by his boss, gave him some money and told him to get out, but something tells me his mother won't take my money."

"If it's bothering you, go to them again," he told me, "Try and convince her, if she is still there. There's only so much you can do for people who don't want your help, but if its bothering you... try once more."

"I guess I should," I nodded, heading to Roach.

"And I was caught by Harry in town before I left," he called after me, "He wants to see you, you're being a bad fiancée if you're avoiding him. He's got plans for the wedding, he wants your approval."

"I ain't avoiding him, but I haven't had much time to even think with all Dutch has been up to," I sighed, "I'll go to Annesburg first, then meet him."

I rode into Annesburg, hoping desperately that I wouldn't see Archie or his mother, that they'd taken my money and left.

"Miss Wright," a voice I was hoping not to hear.

I dismounted Roach and walked towards Archie, he seemed stressed.

"You still here, kid?" I asked.

"Well, yes," he said, "Momma... Momma can't leave, or won't leave! I don't know, I said I had the money, she said your money weren't moral. It'd be better to die than to take it."