⠀⠀ xiii. tears and the truth.

GLOWING EYES,chapter thirteen

GLOWING EYES,
chapter thirteen.
WARNING! there are mentions of domestic abuse in this chapter, so please be cautious when reading!

⠀⠀⠀ DESPITE THE DARKNESS, ⠀⠀⠀Rue could see the fear in Bill's eyes. The creasing of his forehead, the way his hands clawed at the fingers wrapped around his throat. It broke her, shattered her into a million pieces, and the only person who could put her back together was ripping apart at the seams, too. Filled to the brim with anger and an overwhelming sense of dread, she couldn't stop pleading for his life. It was as if someone had ripped her heart out of her chest and was dangling it in front of her, taunting her with it.

Feeling the tight grip of fingers on her arms didn't stop her from trying to get to him. Nails dug into her porcelain skin, creating crescent moons as she yelled and struggled and tried to pull out of their claws. She wouldn't tire, wouldn't give up. She would never stop trying to get to him, would never stop fighting, would never settle for anything less than him, safe.

"Please!" She cried out, voice hoarse and breaking. "Please, please, take me instead!"

Stan on one side of her, tears settling in his eyes from the heartbreaking scene before him, grasped her even tighter as she began to flail, jolting her arms in an attempt to break free. Quickly, Eddie lunged to help. He tried to calm her down as she once did with him; soothingly telling her it was going to be okay. It didn't work.

"No." It sneered. "I'll take him. I'll come back for you. All of you. I'll feast on your flesh as I feed on your fear. Or... you'll leave us be. I will take him, only him."

"No!" Rue roared, again lunging for Bill.

"Then I will have my long rest and you will all live to grow and thrive and lead happy lives, until old age takes you back to the weeds." Soft growls escaped It's mouth as a steady stream of drool fell from the red lips, forming the words that no one would accept.

Full of sorrow, their eyes met. Rue's like a lake, sapphire darkening under the weight of the pure grief she felt, water spilling over the banks and landing on the pale surface of her cheek. Bill's regretful green like a forest, dim and still and hopeless. Moments before an ember settled into the brush, building it's home in a forest fire.