⠀⠀ viii. inhalers and projectors.

GLOWING EYES,chapter eight

GLOWING EYES,
chapter eight.

⠀⠀⠀ DAMIEN WAS SHELLSHOCKED. ⠀⠀⠀He stood in the doorway of the cafe and stared blankly at his sister, the spitting image of the ghost he had seen in the parade earlier. However, her braid was tired, strands falling limply onto her shoulder, split ends caressing the crimson of her dress, laying against the rumples in the fabric. Fatigued eyes, shaking hands cupped around a ceramic mug and lips that were turned down into a concerned frown showed her unstable state - but Damien just felt numb.

As he watched, Misty covered the girl's hand with her own and reassuringly brushed the back with her thumb. An aura of sadness enveloped them, even as they sat in the sunniest spot of the cafe with beams of light trying to shun any shadow, but failing.

He couldn't move. He even found it hard to think. His sister, Emily Moon, had been dead. Dismembered, murdered, chomped on by It. The thing that was haunting his friends. But now she was alive? Pale, tired, upset... but alive. Emily was alive.

Emily was alive.

Letting relieved sobs surge from his lips, he paid no attention to the haphazardly arranged chairs or tables or loose floorboards as he sprinted through the gaggles of people, coming to a stop and dropping to the floor as he constricted his arms around her waist, tears falling into her lap. The joy he felt was so overwhelming. He'd never been so happy. Not in all of his life.

As his knees hit the ground, he should have heard both girls gasp alongside the ringing of bike bells, the clattering of each handlebar hitting the concrete outside and every one of his friends burst through the door behind him. But there was a humming in his ears that sounded like his heart weeping alongside him, and that was all he could focus on.

"Damien?" Emily breathed, letting the empty ceramic clatter to the table as her fingers weaved in his soft, familiar curls.

"Em-Emily." He croaked out, bunching the red fabric in white-knuckled hands.

"God, I'm so happy to see you." She breathed, pulling him up for a hug, snaking her arms around his torso and tugging him close. "You're such a fucking asshole!"