⠀⠀ iv. claws and newspaper clippings.

GLOWING EYES,chapter four

GLOWING EYES,
chapter four.

⠀⠀⠀ THE QUARRY HAPPENED TO BE RUE'S FAVOURITE PLACE.⠀⠀⠀Correction: the quarry happened to be Rue and Bill's favourite place. Often, they would find themselves sat, legs dangling off the edge of the cliff, silence settling easily between them as they watched the crystal water lie still, peaceful and calm. Talking about anything and everything they wanted to, and doing it with ease. A judgement-free zone.

Those were Rue's favourite times. Alongside when her and the losers had competitions of varying difficulty, usually including a loogie and/or jumping into the lake. She couldn't remember a time where she and Bill hadn't gone together. With linked pinkies, she recalled the rush of air that cascaded through their bodies, screams escaping their lips. Even as they hit the surface of the water and plunged into the depths below, they never let go of each other.

Before the accident, they would spend the entire weekend at the edge of the cliff or in the lake, Bill spending the night at Rue's or Rue spending the night at Bill's. Bringing Georgie there was also one of their favourite things to do. If their parents let them. Diving was not permitted for the young boy, but Rue would piggyback him down to the lake and supervise him as he gleefully splashed in the shallows.

Suddenly, Georgie went missing, and they had only been there once since then. The night after, just over twenty-four hours since Bill saw his brother for the last time. Neither joked, laughed, or even cracked smiles. Grief had a hard grip on them both and refused to let go. So they cried and let their tears fill the lake.

That was the first time they ever held hands. Under the moonlight and the stars that watched and made memories for them, shedding tears for the lost soul that deserved so much better.

In arriving at the quarry, Bill and Rue hung back whilst the others rushed to dump their things by the rock, excited chatter filling the morning air. They looked at each other and knew exactly what they were thinking of, and everything that had happened since. She linked their pinkies and squeezed to let him know that he wasn't alone.