Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

   Nathan and Sang waited at the curb of the school. Nathan kicked at a pebble. "Are you and Silas seeing each other?"

   Sang raised a brow. "Define seeing each other? Because, sure, I'm seeing him. I'm seeing him wave to me right now across the parking lot as he gets in his car. I've seen him twice before that. Once at Gym, remember, you were there, and again at Jade's party." Sang put a finger to her lips. Touching her lips reminded her of Rocky's tongue. She nearly threw up.

   "So, you're just friends?"

   "Duh. Plus, everyone is friends with North and Luke. They're good people, so I think you guys are, too. I want to get to know you all better." Sang pulled out her cellphone.

SANG: Hey North! Nathan and Silas invited me to a pool party. They said you'll be there. I hope to see you soon!

   He answered almost immediately.

NORTH: Definitely will be. Looking forward to seeing you.

   Sang shut the phone, glancing back at Nathan who looked lost in thought. She kicked his shoe. "Hey, you alright there, buddy?"

   Nathan smiled, but it seemed a bit empty. "Of course."

   "You wanna talk about it?"

   "Naw. Just trying to figure out where I'd have a girl's swimsuit in my house."

   "Have any sisters?"

   "Nope. But I just thought of the perfect solution." Nathan sent off a text as Kota pulled up in a green Ford Taurus. "Where did you get this bucket of bolts?" Nathan shouted as he hopped in. Sang got in the back.

   "It's my mom's car. Don't judge me." Kota looked back as Sang. "Are you in the wrong car?"

   Nathan bopped him across the back of the head. "She's coming with us tonight."

   "You never tell me anything. You know this is supposed to double as a lowkey meeting right?" Kota warned.

   "You guys are in a club together?" Sang asked. "I can go if you need me to. Silas just offered, and I thought it sounded like fun, but if you need me to go, I can."

   "No, don't go," Nathan insisted. "Kota, I think she's club material."

   Kota looked at Sang in the rearview mirror. "What makes you say that?"

   "She's innate good, for one. Finding Victor and returning his phone. I mean, there's not another kid at Ashley Waters who would have done that. Oh, and I saw her play basketball today, Kota, it was insane. I gave her like two tips and she crushed everyone...even Silas."

   "Silas has the speed factor of Andre the Giant in The Princess Bride."

   "Still, Kota..."

   Kota's eyes flashed behind his glasses. "Text Owen about it."

   "Owen isn't even going to be here today. Sean's a 50/50. Victor's out. Luke said he had some project he wanted to pursue-" Nathan pointed to a house. "Sang look, look, that's Kota's house right there. Anddddd," he waited all of ten seconds before pointing to another house at the end of the street, "this is my house."

   It was a normal-sized house, made of bricks. The shutters were old and the window screens were filthy. The walkway leading to the door was made up of broken pieces of cement. Nathan opened the door for all of them, and Sang found herself in a dimly lit living room. All of the lights were on, but all of the bulbs were such a low wattage that it was difficult to see anything, especially after coming inside away from the sunshine.