Chapter 61: Understanding

-Asher's POV (Continued)

I am once again awoken by the shaking of my shoulder. I open my eyes groggily to see I am still laying on the bed with Eva. My body is facing hers. She is asleep but my arm is wrapped around her back holding her body to mine as her hand lays softly on my neck. I smile seeing her so relaxed in my embrace. Once again my shoulder is gently shaken making me turn my head towards the intruder. I then see Drake standing there pointing his head towards the door. 

I look over to the door to see my parents standing there. My mother smiling with tears in her eyes. My father on the other hand looks less than impressed. I sigh before I lean forward kissing Eva's forehead before gently removing myself from her embrace. Luckily she doesn't wake up and I slide out of the bed walking over to the door as Drake stands watch next to Eva. I walk out and gently close the door behind me. 

"Oh honey, I am so glad you are safe." My mother says engulfing me in a hug. I hug her back while looking over her shoulder and my father. His face giving way that he isn't happy. 

"It's good to see you mom." I say releasing her and stepping back where my back is pressed to the door. "Father"

"Son, why have you've not been at school?" He ask raising an eyebrow. 

"I have been with Eva." I state with a underline tone that he is quick to catch.

"She is not your responsibility Asher. Your studies are." He states sternly. 

"I can catch up. No need to worry." 

"I would say otherwise. You have never neglected your responsibilities before her." He says with emphases. 

"I love her." I state with a raised chin as my mother squeals and my father's jaw ticks. 

"She is not-"

"Watch it father." I say cutting him off now narrowing my eyes. "She and her family have been more a family to me then..." I clear my throat. "You will not disrespect her." 

"You-" He is about to start but thankfully my mother cuts in this time. 

"We are glad she is okay son. Maybe we can have her over after she is feeling up to it?" I force a smile and a firm nod to my mother. "Honey, would you want to come home with us?"

"No, I am staying here." I say while shaking my head at her. Her face falling slightly but she still smiles. My father has an agitated look on his face but doesn't say anything further. 

"Oh... okay. May we come in then?" I sigh but open the door and step back in now seeing Eva sitting up on the bed with her uncle sitting beside her. Both their faces turn towards me amongst the door opening. I can see how rigid Eva's body is. Fuck, she heard us... I walk over to her sitting on the bed as she gives a small smile before forcing a smile at my parents. I take her hands in mine and give her a reassuring squeeze. "Good afternoon Eva." 

Eva nods her head at my mother but her focus is solely following my father. His face returning to it's stoic expression. I can feel his irritation radiating off of him. I return my focus to Eva as I lean forward kissing her cheek. 

"Good day Mr. & Mrs. Moore."

"Oh honey, I have told you before to call me Leann." My mother gushes. 

"It's nice for you to visit Leann. Thank you." My incredible girl answers gently. My mother walks over as Drake gives room for her to sit down. She gives Eva a hug which Eva returns. My mother kisses her head as she stands back up. "Mr. Moore." 

"Hello Eva." He says with a nod of his head. 

"May I have a word in private with you." Eva request to my dad. My head snaps to hers but she doesn't look to me. Drake and my mother look back and forth but eventually excuse themselves stepping out of the room. I hesitate though not standing up. Eva turns finally look towards me. She gently whispers that she is okay and says to go. I internally groan but give her one last kiss before stepping away. I give my father a meaningful look before walking out of the door. 

"Asher, come with us to get some drinks." Drake ushers me over making me step away from the door. 

-Eva's POV

I listened to hear the door of the room click shut leaving me with me Richard Moore. I could feel the tension radiating off of him. I heard what I needed to hear when I woke up. Thank god my uncle doesn't have as sensitive hearing as I do. I took a deep breath and sat up straight placing both of my hands in my lap as I looked towards his figure. 

"Would you like to sit?" I asked calmly. I felt him shuffle and the air shift as he moved to sit in a chair next to the bed. My eyes following the movement. He sat down stiffly in the chair. We sat there for a minute before I decided to turn my gaze towards the window as I heard him ruffle his hair. "Has my uncle ever told you how I became blind Mr. Moore?"

He cleared his throat and sat up straight. His gaze now on me. "No he did not." 

I took a moment and allow my gaze to remain on the warmth the window exuded. "I lost my sight during an attack on my family. The attack cost my mom her life." I pause allowing my words to sink in as I ring my fingers together. I could feel his stare on me but I didn't look towards him. "I lost a lot since that faithful night... both my parents included. I have watched after my sisters since I was 11 years old. I will not go into details since I trust you don't really care." I turn my gaze and finally looked to him. I felt his breathing increase. "You may not find me perfect but I will guarantee you this- No one will ever love your son as much as I do." 

I state with such determination that I can hear his breathing catch. I continue holding his gaze until he finally bows his head. "Eva, it is not that I feel you don't love him." 

"What makes you worry then?" I question slowly.

"He has never been that close with me, or his mother really... but the way he is around you. It's like I don't even know him." 

My gaze drops down and I fiddle with my fingers again as I think about how to comment. I take a moment gathering my courage. "My father killed himself." His head snaps up looking at me as I continue looking at my lap. "He couldn't handle loosing my mother. It was too much to bare." I shake my head lifting it up suppressing the tears wanting to spill forth. "It's as if I lost both my parents in the span of one evening. He was never the same." 

"Eva, I'm-" I shake my head with a soft smile. 

"I wish now that I would have gotten to know more about them. I am telling you this because I don't think it is too late for you and Asher." 

I feel him slouch in the seat as I can feel his conflicted emotions rolling off of him in waves. We both sit there for a few moments. I jump startled when I feel him put his hand over mine. I lay my other hand on top of his as he grips mine. 

"Thank you Eva." 

I smile gently as we sit there in silence for a few minutes. It may not be acceptance yet but it is definitely progress.