27: A Fork in the Road

Start from the beginning

"You're safe here, Ann," she said softly, "But you need to rest, or else you're going to make yourself sick."

"Fine," I sighed, spooning the remains of my oatmeal into my mouth and heading for my bed.

My rest lasted about as long as I expected it to. I woke up screaming, lashing out at the air, fear gripping me. Dutch was the one who ran to my bedside, trying to hold my arms down as I fought him, still half in a dream state.

"Ann, calm down!" he was saying, fighting with me, "Shhh, calm down. It's okay, you're fine."

I slowly realised where I was and stopped fighting him, but I was still tensed up. I had made a fool of myself, yet again.

"Dutch, I'm sorry," I sighed as he let go of me and I sat up.

"Is it because of..." he trailed off, looking at me.

I nodded silently, looking down sadly. I heard him sigh and he put his hand on my arm gently.

"Ann, you are safe here," he said, "You are my daughter. I will not let anything like that happen to you ever again. I swear it."

"I know you won't, Dutch," I said, "But I can't help myself... feeling this way. And with Micah last night..."

I fell silent and shook my head, a small laugh forcing its way out my lips.

"Micah doesn't know what he's saying," Dutch told me, "He's a fool, but there's a heart in there."

"Yeah, whatever you say," I said slowly, standing up. Of course he was defending him.

"Are you heading out?" he asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Dutch, I just need... space," I sighed, "I see the looks everyone is giving me, and I can't stand it. I need to get out for a bit."

"I understand," he nodded, "Be safe."

"I will," I nodded, heading for Roach. 

The only thing I was thankful for was the fact they'd somehow saved my horse. The only thing I could be thankful for was that, as everything else seemed to go to shit.

I decided to ride to Saint Denis, I was due to meet Sadie and Arthur soon anyway, the ride could clear my head.

I was relieved to find that nobody gave me a second look upon my arrival in the city. Dutch had been right, they didn't expect us to return. Maybe the whole moving around thing would be easier than I expected.

I was headed for the saloon that Sadie mentioned when I was overcome by a terrible cough, one worse than any I had experienced before. I struggled to catch my breath as I climbed down from Roach, my vision going hazy as I hacked my lungs up. I felt myself tilting forward, losing balance, before I hit the floor, the heaving cough hurting my chest.

I didn't know how long I lay there, coughing, until someone came to help. They lifted me up, I could barely understand them, but I got enough to know they were taking me to the doctor.

They left me in the doctor's office, I didn't even manage to thank them before I was whisked in for a checkup. My vision was still blurry and the cough still bad, I could barely breathe, as the doctor helped me into the seat.

"Mister, I need some help," I gasped through coughs.

"Clearly, and that's doctor mister to you," he said.

"I'm sorry," I immediately said as he sat next to me.

"I was joking," he laughed slightly, "Now look, friend, I don't mean nothing but, you got money?"