ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 11

[ past / present annabeth ]

Annabeth watched as Luke tried to decapitate her future self.

Sure, lots of people in camp had been taken over by these eidolons, but Luke?

It kind of made her shudder.

"--Get in there!"

Future Percy's voice brought her out of her thoughts.

Demigods all around her drew their weapons, but it was hard to just step into a sword fight. Plus, Luke was insanely skilled with a sword.

Future Percy looked at them all, his eyebrow raised. "Really? No one?"

Riptide spun in his grip as he prepared to intercept Luke's sword when Clarisse let loose a war cry and held up her sword.

She charged Luke, ramming into his side and sending them both sprawling.

Annabeth took notice of how careful Luke was not to hit his head when he fell. He rubbed his back and righted himself.

Future Annabeth was panting, hands on knees, further away. She wiped her brow and held up her sword again.

Future Percy was at her side in an instant, preparing for a fight of his own. Riptide reflected the light of the sun that was just beginning to set.

Luke spat at the ground. "You could never do anything alone, could you?"

Annabeth cringed and looked to her older self.

But Future Annabeth just shook her head.

"Shut up," she muttered and charged him with a new sense of purpose.

Luke caught her uppercut with his sword, and took advantage of her position by disarming her.

Future Annabeth grimaced.

Luke slashed, and Annabeth drew her dagger to help before her older self was killed at the hands of her best friend.

Gods, that sounded strange.

But Future Annabeth was just as clever as Annabeth should've expected.

She dropped to the ground and swept Luke's feet from underneath him.

Future Percy stepped in then, backing Luke away from the other campers.

Annabeth watched in awe. Future Percy's skills didn't just match Luke's, they excelled them.

He was just as fast, but his moves were more coordinated. They flowed like calm water--which was appropriate.

Future Annabeth called out to Malcolm for his sword, which he threw.

She caught it, and shot a strange look at the group before her.

"Uh, what're you guys doing? We could've had him out by now if we'd worked together."

No one said a word.

Future Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I know, quite the sight." She eyed her sword. "He's taken."

A few campers laughed at that, and Annabeth smiled uneasily.

"Percy can keep him busy, and I can hit him from behind. Would any of you care to help Percy distract?"

Demigods surrounding Annabeth mumbled in response, and Future Annabeth nodded.

"Right. Don't keep him waiting." She turned. "I have a feeling he's not enjoying this."