ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 5

{Future/present Percy}

Past Percy raised his hand. "I'm new to this...should I be concerned?"

Percy shook his head at him, only because that was totally something he would say.

"If my––if Kronos is behind this, then now would be a very good time to be concerned," Chiron answered. He looked to Percy and Annabeth. "Why did the Fates send you?"

Annabeth looked at Percy.

Percy dug up the memory of the note. "We have a note from the Fates, if that helps."

Chiron nodded.

"Chronological Kronos, Gastly Gaia, battles and fights, demigod's might. Perseus Jackson,
Annabeth Chase,
fulfilling the gods' will, not too much haste.
Time is short, sometimes long, don't ever wonder what went wrong. Backwards forwards, whatever we choose, you'll find yourself in familiar shoes."

Chiron considered the message. "Well, I still don't understand why you two were singled out, but that is a question for another time."

Luke eyed Percy. "What does it mean by 'Gastly Gaia?'"

Percy looked at Annabeth and almost laughed.

"It's like a prophecy, Luke. It's not supposed to make sense," Annabeth said.

Percy rolled his eyes for the millionth time that evening. "Gaia decided she wanted to ruin our lives too, and we spent time with the other halfblood camp, Camp Jupiter, facing off against all her minions," he elaborated, making strange hand movements.  "Annabeth left out some details."

Annabeth snorted. "Idiot."

Chiron stared at the two. "I'm sorry, I don't quite understand."

"No one ever does."

"Anyways," Annabeth attempted to steer them back to the subject at hand, "the note foreshadowed the time travel, so we can check that off. It doesn't really hint at anything that can help us with this situation, though."

"How can you be sure?" Clarisse asked.

Percy looked at her. "We have experience with these types of things."

Annabeth nodded. "I don't think Kronos is the head of this operation."

Chiron gave her a questioning look.

"It's going to take a lot more for him to rise. But he does still have influence."

Percy nodded. "I was trying to tell you that before, Annabeth. I was thinking some enemy wants revenge, and they're sending other enemies to do it. We just have to figure out who."

Past Percy sighed. "I'm starting to think this is all a joke."

Percy laughed. "Welcome to the club, little me."

"Should we issue a quest? The oracle––" Chiron was cut short.

"No." Annabeth stood and began to pace. "The Oracle may be from Apollo, but time here is...different."

Percy decided he should break it down for those like him. "In our time, a mortal girl holds the spirit of Delphi," he explained. "But why should that matter?"

"Because this isn't something Apollo himself is aware of, from what I gather." She turned to look at Percy. "This is a quest issued by the Fates. I don't think they do things the same."

"So...you think they'll start us off in their own way?"

"They already have." She pulled the note from her pocket. "We know enough to start this thing. And, I think I know who we should take with us."