ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 10

{ future / present percy }

"I'm not so sure I'm excited for this."

Percy glanced at his younger self. "That's right. Annabeth tried to get you killed last time."

"Did not!" Both Annabeth's chorussed. They stood further away, where Annabeth was showing Past Annabeth how she'd learned to tighten her armor so it wouldn't rub up against her during combat.

Percy chuckled. He turned to Past Percy. "Relax, Little Me. Just don't die."

Past Percy grimaced. "Thanks."

"Anytime." Percy saluted as Chiron clomped his hooves for attention.

"Alright, campers! Get with your teams and get ready to capture the flag!"

The sea of demigods around him cheered and split off.

Apollo, Ares, Hephaestus, and Hermes had ended up together on team red, leaving every other camper to join the opposite team. There had been some complaints about the size differences, but Chiron had made it final.

Percy didn't bother to put on the blue feathered helmet, knowing no one would force him to. He thought it made him look silly.

"How come you two aren't wearing armor?" Past Annabeth asked, unsheathing her dagger.

Percy rolled his head, his version of stretching. "Cramps my style."

Past Annabeth giggled, and Past Percy looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

The rest of the blue team gathered around them, awaiting instructions.

Past Annabeth cleared her throat. "Okay team, let's talk strategy."

Percy watched her with an amused expression, waiting for the plan himself.

Past Annabeth pointed to their flag. "Let's put Aphrodite, Demeter, and Dionysus on defense. Stay put and guard the flag unless you're called specifically for help. Everyone else, offense. We need––" She stopped abruptly. "Uh, did you want to––?"

Everyone's eyes fixed on Annabeth.

Annabeth shook her head. "Go on."

Past Annabeth nodded. "We need to come at them from all different directions. There's more of them, so try teaming up and distracting."

Malcolm raised his hand. "I vote to keep the power couple together."

A good amount of the others agreed with him.

Past Annabeth cocked her head. "And that would be..."

"The Future guys."

Percy frowned. "Oh come on. You guys can't come up with a more creative name?"

Malcolm adjusted his glasses. "Power Couple or Future Guys?"

"Both."

Past Annabeth cut in. "Okay, okay. We'll keep older Percy and I together. You guys...do whatever you feel like. I'm not telling older me what to do."

Annabeth winked. "Wiser words were never spoken."

Past Annabeth nodded. "Alright, let's win this."

Blue Team cheered and broke apart.

Past Percy trailed after Past Annabeth, and Percy laughed.

"Something funny?" Annabeth asked, sidling up next to him.

Percy shook his head. "I am such a weirdo," he noted.

Annabeth pulled Riptide from his pocket and put it in his hand. "I hadn't noticed," she said, her words dripping with sarcasm.