"The Letter & The List"

At the airport, as Serena, Grandma & Summer were saying their goodbyes, Jay unloaded their luggages & helped them cart it over to the curbside check-in station. There was a big group hug between the 3 ladies. Serena kissed Summer on the cheek & Grandma kissed her on the forehead.

Grandma: Now remember, I'm only a call away.
Summer: I know. Thanks, Grandma. I love you.
Grandma: Be good & take care.
Summer: I'll be fine.
Jay: Bye Grandma. Bye Serena.
Serena: Bye Jay. Bye Summer.

Serena came back to hug Summer & Jay one last time.

Grandma: Jay, please take care of her.
Jay: You know I will.

Jay wrapped his arm around Summer. They both waved to Grandma & Serena as they walked through the airport doors. Summer & Jay drove off to head back to Jay's house. Jay pulled out a cigarette & started smoking.

Jay: Sorry, I forgot to ask if you cared if I smoked in the car or not. I haven't smoked since yesterday.
Summer: Oh... How long have you been smoking for?
Jay: Since 2013.
Summer: Since your father died?
Jay: Um, actually since you left to go back to Washington.
Summer: Oh... Well, why?

Jay shrugged.

Jay: I guess I needed to pick up a habit to fill my time.

Summer nodded.

Summer: I think you should stop.
Jay: Why?
Summer: You should pick up another habit to replace that one.
Jay: Ok.
Jay took one more puff, threw the cigarette out the window & handed his lighter & pack of cigarettes to Summer.
Summer: You're just gonna quit like that? Cold turkey?
Jay: Yeah. You're gonna help me.

They reached Jay's house & Summer went to her room. She looked at Dylan's key necklace on her vanity & the letter from her dad which was laid right next to it. She picked up the letter & went to the library to read it. Jay passed by & saw that the envelope sat on Summer's lap. Summer was biting her nails & was hesitant to open the letter.

Jay stood in the doorway.

Jay: Are you gonna open it or what?
Summer: Can you read it with me?

Jay walked in & sat next to Summer. He took the letter from her lap. He held it in front of her.

Jay: Open it & then we'll read it together.
Summer: Ok.

Jay put his arm over the back of the couch so that it was also around Summer's shoulders. She carefully opened the envelope up & took the letter out. Jay read it for her.

Jay:
My Dearest Summer,

I don't know how much time I have left, but I want to let you know how proud of you I am & how much I love you. I remember the day you were born & when they placed you into my arms. You were so small, so pink & so cute. Today you're not so small, not so pink, but still very cute. I want you to continue living your life to the fullest. Chase your dreams. Find your passions. My life has been spent & the end of my life is near. There's a list of things I've done that I want you to experience. Now, granted you may have already experienced them, but you know what just go ahead & do it again. You're probably still in Virginia & I want you to experience this all here because this is the place where you'll probably feel the closest with me. To tell you honestly, I wanted to experience this list with you, but hopefully you can cross out each item with someone special. Don't spend the next year mourning for me. If my funeral is over, cry a river build a bridge & get over it. I don't want my baby being sad. Think of me often & when you do, smile, don't cry. I love you, my Summer.

Love Always,
Daddy

Jay looked up from the letter to see Summer's eyes full of tears. Summer wiped the tears from her face.
Jay wrapped his arms around her.

Jay: Your father's right, you're still cute.

Summer laughed.

Summer: Thanks.
Jay: Oh, here's the list.

Jay handed the list to Summer. Summer read it out loud.

Summer:
1) Sleep under the stars
2) Travel to a foreign country
3) Go horseback riding
4) Get a tattoo
5) Fall in love
6) Stay up all night talking to a friend
7) Sing me a song while playing the piano
8) Get drunk at a karaoke bar
9) Move to Virginia
10) Do something that scares you

Jay: Well, this looks doable.
Summer: I already did number 7.
Jay: Only 9 more to go.
Summer: Thanks for reading this with me. I really can't thank you enough for all your help, Jay. It means a lot to me.

Summer rested her head on Jay's chest. Jay held her close.