"Returning the Key"

The coordinators & chaplain were the last to leave. Serena & Grandma headed back inside since it had started to snow. Jay stood behind Summer as Summer was crouched sitting in front of her father's grave. Over & over again she traced the lettering on his tombstone. The words "loving father" echoed in her mind. She finally stood & turned to face Jay. She looked beyond Jay & saw Dylan in the distance standing under a tree. Jay turned around & saw him too.
Jay: Do you want me to tell him to leave?
Summer: It's ok. Stay here. I'll be right back.
Summer left Jay's side & walked to Dylan.

Summer: Did you just get here?
Dylan: No, I was here for the whole service. Your speech was really moving & your song was perfect.
Summer: You're here alone?
Dylan: Yeah.
Summer: Where's Michelle?
Dylan: She flew back to Iowa.

Summer nodded.

Summer: Why are you still here?
Dylan: Summer, I'm sorry. Hear me out, please. That  night when we first met, you turned my world upside down. I knew you were more to me than just a one night stand. I wanted you in my life & I wanted to be a part of yours. And for the past 3 months, I had the privilege of being your boyfriend. I know I don't deserve you, but I'm begging for one more chance. I... I can't live without you, Summer. I can't. I wanted to be here for you. It killed me to be a part from you. Don't you feel the same?

Grandma & Serena could see Dylan & Summer talking from where they were. Jay was also watching closely. No one could hear them. Their minds could only form personal opinions of where the conversation was going.

Dylan reached into his pocket & pulled out his key necklace.

Summer: Dylan...
Dylan: When I gave this to you, I was giving you my heart. Please promise me you'll think about us & give us another chance. Summer, I love you.
Summer took the necklace & held it in her hands.
Summer: I'm going to need some time, Dylan. I need clarity & peace about this first.
Dylan: Of course. Take all the time you need.

Dylan pulled Summer in & kissed her forehead & held her close. Jay took a step in their direction & held himself back. He decided to walk to his car to wait.
Dylan: I'm heading back home. I'll see you there.
Summer: Ok.
Dylan: I love you.

Summer watched as Dylan walked away. She watched as Jay walked away. She looked back at her father's grave. She looked at the key necklace in her hand. She put they necklace into her pocket & then walked towards her Grandma & Serena.

The ride back to Jay's house was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Serena tried to make some small talk about the snow, but Grandma stopped her. Everyone changed out of their funeral clothes & Grandma cooked dinner. Jay & Serena helped. Other than instructional sentences of what to chop & boil, there was no talking going on. Serena broke the silence & started to strike up a conversation.

Serena: Thanks, Jay for letting Grandma, Summer & I stay in your home.
Grandma: Yes, thank you. It's a beautiful home.
Jay: My pleasure. Excuse me.

Jay left to go upstairs. Grandma gave Serena a look.

Serena: What?! No one was talking.
Grandma: It was better that way.
Serena: Well, he is hosting us after all. Can you try to be a bit nicer to him?
Grandma: He's not very likable.
Serena: Ok, ok... Let me try to think the way that you do.

Grandma popped the casserole into the oven & sat on the kitchen stool.

Serena: Dylan had no tattoos. Jay has a tattoos everywhere. Dylan doesn't smoke or drink. Jay does both. Dylan always brought Summer home & called & messages when they'd be getting in late. And Jay brought Summer all the way over here to the east coast. Is this why you hate him so much?
Grandma: Who's side are you on?
Serena: I'm on my sister's side.
Grandma: How so?
Serena: Jay has been by her side & has loved her all these years. He doesn't have to say it for us to know. Don't you see the way he looks at her. He basically worships the ground she walks on. Dylan may have helped her forget about Greg, but where was he in all this? He cheated on Summer while she was grieving the loss of her dad.
Grandma: So you know what's best for her? You're an 18 year old knocked up, college drop out. You don't know the first thing...
Summer: Grandma!

Summer & Jay heard all that Serena & Grandma were bickering about. Serena threw the kitchen towel on the counter & matched upstairs.

Serena: I'm not hungry.
Grandma: You get back in here young lady.

Summer gently touched Jay's arm.

Summer: I'm gonna go check on Serena.

Jay was left alone with Grandma.

Jay: Grandma, with all due respect. We're all grown ups here.
Grandma: Were all grown ups, but we're not acting grown up. I don't know why I've managed to drive both girls away.
Jay: You haven't driven them away.
Grandma: Oh?
Jay: They still love you & they know that you love them. I know I don't make the next first impressions. It's something I'm working on. You've probably made your mind up about me. But one thing you should know about me is that when I commit myself to someone, I'm all in. I fell in love with your granddaughter 6 years ago & I as sure as hell am not backing down now. So with or without your blessing, ma'am, I'm going to keep pursuing her.
Grandma: Well, you definitely have the guts & balls to talk to me that way. She can stay. I know she wants to, but if you hurt her, I swear.
Jay: I got it. Hug?
Grandma: Shake.

They shake hands & start setting up the table for dinner.

Serena: I don't know what came over me. I blame it on the hormones.
Summer: She shouldn't have said those things to you. She loves you, you know.
Serena: Interesting how she shows it.
Summer: Been there. Done that.
Serena: So... What are you gonna do about this?

Serena plays & dangles Dylan's necklace.

Summer: I don't know. I'm just taking it one day at a time.
Serena: I need to up my game. I have no one & my sister has two guys who are totally in love with her.
Summer: Oh please... You're hot for a pregnant mama. I think guys are intimidated by you.
Serena: Yeah. Or by this belly!

Girls laugh. Summer runs Serena's belly.

Serena: So you're really staying here, huh?
Summer: That's the plan. I'm gonna head back after the holidays to pick up my stuff.
Serena: I'm gonna miss you...
Summer: Don't say your goodbyes yet.
Serena: I know. I'm just stating the obvious. Who's gonna keep me sane?
Summer: You'll be fine.
Serena: Who's gonna come with me to my appointments?
Summer: I can come fly over.
Serena: No, that's asking too much.
Summer: Thanks for sticking up for me. You didn't have to.
Serena: Yeah, I know. But someone needs to put her in her place.
Summer: Come on, let's go eat.

Summer & Serena wall downstairs to the table set up for dinner & Jay & Grandma talking like they're the best of friends.

Serena: What happened down here?
Summer: I have no idea...
Grandma: Hey girls, come sit.

They ate dinner & chattered away like nothing happened. Grandma seemed to ease up on Jay & began to see him in a new light. Dinner was a pleasant & good time & a happy ending to a bittersweet day.