"Reginald & Jane"

After Brian left the car garage, he headed to the Harper's residence. He drove up to the driveway & knocked on the door. Serena answered. Brian paused as she opened the door. He stood there frozen & didn't know what to say.

Serena: Hey Brian, come on in.
Brian: Hey Serena. You know what... I'm not sure why I came this way. This is probably a mistake.
Serena: Oh... Well, did you wanna figure that out in the cold or come in for some hot cocoa? I just made some. I sure could use some company. I'm afraid I might finish it all in one sitting.

He chose the latter & came in for hot cocoa. Dylan sat on the couch while Serena brought two mugs to the living room. She had been watching Christmas movies all evening. Grandma had been out doing some holiday shopping.

Brian: I love this movie!
Serena: Me too. It's so nostalgic. How's the cocoa?
Brian took a sip & set his mug down on the coffee table.
Brian: Mmm, it's perfect. Thanks.
Serena: So did you figure why you came this way?
Brian: Yeah, actually your sister & my cousin have the apartment to themselves for the evening & I didn't want to intrude. I drove & drove & ended up here.
Serena: Sorry you got kicked out of your own apartment. I'm glad you're here.
Brian: You are?
Serena playfully patted his thigh & smiled.
Serena: Yeah!
Brian started at the place on his thigh where she touched him. He was shocked. He finished his cocoa & set the mug down on the coffee table. The scene in the movie was a family decorating their tree.
Brian: Hey! It's kinda early, you wanna get outta here?
Serena: Really? That sounds great. I feel like I'm stuck in the house all day.
Brian: Yeah, let's go.
Serena: Where are we going?
Brian: You'll see...

Serena bundles up & heads outside. Brian opens the door for him. He quickly rubbed his hands together for warmth & headed in the driver's side. Brian turned on the radio & Christmas music started playing in the background.

Serena: So, Brian... Tell me about yourself.
Brian: What do you wanna know? Let's see. My name is Brian Redding.
Serena: No middle name?
Brian: Um... My middle name is kind of a secret.
Serena: I'm good at keeping secrets.
Brian shook his head & smiled. He motioned to zip his mouth & locked it up.
Serena: Aww, come on... Please.
Serena gave her best puppy dog face.
Brian: Not the puppy dog face...
Brian glanced at Serena.
Brian: Oh fine. It's Reginald.
Serena: What's wrong with Reginald?
Brian: I always got made fun of for it.
Serena: Well, I think it's very distinguishing sounding.
Brian chuckled.
Brian: Thanks. Ok, now, how about you tell me something.
Serena pursed her lips & thought for a moment.
Serena: I'll tell you my whole name.
Brian: Ok.
Serena: It's Serena Jane Langston. I've actually always hated my middle name too.
Brian: What's wrong with Jane?
Serena: It's too plain. Couple kids also made fun of me & called me "plain Jane" for an entire week.
Brian: Kids are cruel aren't they?
Serena: Yeah, they are.
Brian: Well, I think you're anything, but plain.
Serena: Thanks.
Brian: How about we get into deeper topics?
Serena: Ok. You go first.
Brian: I'm afraid of not meeting expectations.
Serena had a confused look on her face.
Serena: Who's expectations?
Brian: Everyone's. My parents, my siblings, my uncle's, Dylan's.
Serena: Why do their expectations matter? I know they're important to you, but you can't let the pressure get to you.
Brian: Yeah, I guess. It's just that, when my Uncle & Cousin took me in, they took a chance on me. I'm some bumpkin from Iowa. I came here for school. I'm working first to save up, but starting January, I'll be attending classes.
Serena: You mentioned your parents & siblings.
Brian: Yeah, I love my parents. They work so hard. I wanted to prove to them that they raised me right. So when I turned 18, I moved out here & started my own life. My siblings are counting on me & I just don't wanna disappoint anyone.
Serena: I'm sure they're proud of you.
Brian: Thanks, Serena. Ok, now how about you?
Serena: Well, I'm afraid of being a single mom.
Brian: Why?
Serena: Because I'm going to alone. The baby's father doesn't want to have anything to do with it. My own parents...
Serena starts to cry.
Brian pulls the car over. He comforts Serena & holds her.
Brian: Hey, there there...
Serena: I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to break down. Must be the hormones. I'm fine.
Brian let Serena go, but kept holding her hand.
Brian: Serena, I promise you that you won't be alone. You have Grandma Harper, your sister... And you have me.
Serena smiled & wiped away her tears. She looked around at where they had parked.
Serena: Where are we?
Brian: This is a Christmas tree lot. We're gonna pick out a Christmas tree.
Serena got so excited she jumped out of the car to start looking at trees. Brain followed & showed her all the different varieties.
Serena: I've never done this before. Growing up, we've always had the fake, plastic ones. One year, my stepmom bought one with fake snow on it.
Brian: Well, this is the real deal.
Serena: Oh I love the smell...
Serena walked up to a tree & took the pines into her hands, cupped it & smelled.
Brian: There's more back there.
Brian pointed towards the bigger trees in the lot. He loved how Serena's eyes lit up. Serena grabbed Brian's hand & pulled him towards the other trees. Brian was so happy.

After looking around at the trees, Serena came to a conclusion & picked one that she really liked. Brian & one of the worker's bundled it & loaded the top of his car with it. Brian & Serena headed back to the Harper house to set up the tree. It started to snow as they were loading up the car.

Serena: Oh my goodness, Brian! I don't remember the last time I had that much fun.
Brian: Me too! Ok, so something my family & I did for many years was after we went to pick out a tree, we named it.
Serena: You named your Christmas tree!?
Brian: I know... kinda stupid.
Serena: No, No that's not it. I think it's cute.
Brian: Ok. Well, what should we name this fella?
Serena: I have the perfect name!
Brian: Let's hear it.
Serena: Reginald!
Brian: Are you kidding?
Serena: No, please. I love that name!
Brian: Ok, Reginald. We'll go with that.