"Miles Away"

Jay: She still hasn't eaten anything & she hasn't left her room. She's been in there all day.
Grandma: Her one & only parent just passed away. What do you expect from her?

Serena sensed the tension between Grandma & Jay & interrupted.

Serena: Ok, why don't I go & talk to her?

Jay nodded. Grandma walked out & into her room.
Jay went up with Serena & stood by Summer's door to hear the conversation. Serena walked in with a plate of cookies. She noticed the tray of uneaten food & untouched water. Summer looked a mess.

Serena: Hey sis, I just baked theses they're oatmeal raisin.
Summer: No thanks.
Serena: May I?

Summer nodded to allow Serena to sit on her bed.

Summer: Dylan hasn't called me back or returned any of my messages.
Serena: I'm sure he's fine. He's probably out of cellphone range or his phone might be out of battery?
Summer: It's just that... I really need him now. I wish he was here.
Serena: I know.
Summer: And... Why did he have to leave?
Serena: Wasn't this a planned family trip?
Summer: I'm not talking about Dylan. I'm talking about my dad. Why did my dad leave me?

Summer broke down & laid her head into Serena's lap. Jay poked his head & looked at Summer. Serena looked at Jay with a worried look. Jay remained outside the room. Serena stroked Summer's tangled hair.

Serena: You know, when I left my parents' home & came to find you, that was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But when we met & when you helped me, I knew from that point on that I wouldn't be alone. Summer, you've helped me come out of a dark place in my life. And I may not completely understand all that you're going through, but I know I want to be here for you.

Summer lifted her head up, wiped her tears & tucked her hair behind her ear. Her eyes were swollen from all the crying. Her nose was red & her the rest of her face pale.

Summer: Thank you, Serena.

Just then, Summer's phone started buzzing. She picked it up & didn't recognize the number.

Serena: It might be Dylan.
Summer nodded & answered the call.
Summer: Hello?
Dylan: Baby, it's me. I called as soon as I could. My phone died & we're completely out of cellphone range. I'm so so sorry...
Serena walked out of Summer's room & closed the door.
Jay: So?
Serena: I think she'll be fine now that Dylan called.

Serena headed downstairs & Jay lingered at the top of the stairs.

Serena: Coming down?
Jay turned to look at Summer's door.
Jay: Yeah.
Jay reluctantly followed Serena back downstairs.

Summer cried as she explained everything to Dylan. Dylan felt helpless as he was miles away from Summer during this time.

Dylan: I wanna be there for you, Summer. I'll be there, ok.
Summer: Ok.
Dylan: I'll call you back, ok? I love you so much!
Summer: I love you, Dylan...

They both hung up. Summer fell asleep.

Serena: She's on the phone with Dylan.
Grandma: Oh good. Maybe he can come home. I think that's just what she needs.
Jay: You think he's gonna make it?
Grandma: Well, I know he's gonna try.
Jay: Where's he at?
Serena: Visiting family in Iowa.
Jay: I heard there are blizzards in Iowa. Not sure if those are the best traveling conditions.
Grandma: Jay, it's getting late. I think you should probably get going?
Jay: Is it ok if I say bye to Summer first?
Grandma: Don't wake her if she's sleeping. She needs her rest.
Jay: Ok.

Jay walked up the steps & noticed the crack under the door that it was dark in Summer's room. He quietly knocked before he entered. She was still laying on her bed. Jay whispered goodnight & walked out.

Dylan talked to his dad about going back to Washington to be there for Summer.

Dylan: Look, dad I know this is all bad timing, but I really need to be there for Summer. She's not doing well. It kills me that I can't be there for her right now.
Dyxon: Son, I completely understand. Everything is closed now. Tomorrow we'll look at plane tickets & see what we can do.
Dylan: Ok.