"When Samuel Met Dylan"

Summer woke up to the smell of bacon & pancakes. She sat up & rubbed her eyes. She was so tired from all the driving & traveling she & Serena did the day before. She turned to look at her sister. She let her rest as she got herself ready for the day. She walked over to her room & knocked before entering. She cracked the door open & peeked inside. The coast was clear. She locked the door behind her as she got ready. As she was finishing up, there was a knock on the door. "Who is it?", summer called out. No reply.
She brushed through her hair one more time before opening the door. It was Jay with a mug of coffee in each hand. He had the biggest smile on his face.

Jay: Goodmorning, Summer.
Summer: Goodmorning.

Summer reached for one mug & Jay pulled away.

Jay: I'll take a kiss in exchange for the coffee.

Summer gave him a look & proceeded to close her door.

Jay: Hey, hey, hey... I'm only joking.

Just then, Samuel was making his way upstairs. Summer breezed past Jay to hug her dad. She jumped into her dad's arms. Samuel hugged her tight.

Samuel: My Summer!
Summer: I've missed you dad!
Samuel: We have a lot to talk about. But first, breakfast. Come on. Your grandmother cooked up a storm.

Samuel & Summer walked down arm in arm. Jay followed with the coffee. The three sat down as Grandma came from the kitchen with plates of food. Jay stood to help her.

Grandma: This young man woke up early to help me cook.
Samuel: Thanks, Jay!
Summer: Yeah... thanks.

Jay winked at Summer from across the table.

Summer: So dad, you're here earlier than I expected.
Samuel: Why? Can't I come home early.
Summer: That's not it at all, dad. I was just surprised. Sorry I wasn't here to greet you yesterday.
Samuel: Yeah, Grandma filled me in on Serena & her baby. I think it's great that you took her in.
Summer: I know it's a lot.
Samuel: Well, change is good.

After breakfast, Serena finally rolled out of bed & joined the rest for breakfast where she met Jay & Samuel. She felt embarrassed for waking late, but grandma assured her that she needed her rest since she was growing a little human inside her. Jay helped Grandma with the dishes after breakfast & Samuel took Summer out for a stroll by the park behind their house.

Summer: Dad?
Samuel: Hmm?
Summer: It really is nice to have you home.
Samuel: Your Grandma tells me of a guy named... Dylan.
Summer: Yeah, um I'm sorry I haven't told you about him.
Samuel: So are you two dating?
Summer: Yes, we've been dating for a month now.
Samuel: You know Jay is single.
Summer: Dad?!
Samuel: I'm just saying. Jay's a fine, young man. He has a great job, good salary, he's responsible. And he has feelings for you, Summer.
Summer: Dad, that doesn't change anything. Dylan loves me & I love him.
Samuel: Well honey, you thought you loved Greg.
Summer: Oh please, don't mention him...
Samuel: I'm just saying sweetheart. You should've given Jay a chance.

They reached their favorite bench & took a seat.

Summer: Can we change the subject?
Samuel: Fine... I've actually been meaning to talk to you about a change in my retirement.
Summer: Yeah, next summer right?
Samuel: Actually, I'm giving them 2 more years.
Summer: Dad, that's too much.
Samuel: Summer, my duty is to my country.
Summer: What about your family? You've given the military 20 plus years of your life.
Samuel: Summer, it'll be ok. It's only two years then I'll be back for good.

Summer rested her head on her dad's shoulder. She remembered times when she, her mom & dad took walks to the park & fed the little animals. She remembered sitting on that very same bench. She was grateful that she had those memories to hold on to. She was proud of her dad for all his years of service, but a part of her was selfishly wanting to have her dad to herself.

Dylan headed to Summer's house during his lunch break just to say "hi". He had missed her since the girls' day trip. Dylan drove up to the Harper's driveway & noticed a man in the front smoking. It was Jay. Jay saw Dylan's face & immediately realized it was him, the guy isn't the picture. Dylan furrowed his brows & got out of the car.

Dylan: Hey man, you can't be smoking here.
Jay: I'm sorry. Who are you?
Dylan: Who am I? I'm Dylan. This is my girlfriend's house & I think she & her family would appreciate it if you didn't smoke right in front of their house.
Jay: Hi Dylan. I'm Jay & I...

Samuel & Summer were on their way back. Summer saw Jay & Dylan talking so she ran up to Dylan before Jay could finish his sentence.

Summer: Hey babe!
Dylan: Hey!

Summer ran into Dylan's arms & Jay continued to smoke. He put out his cigarette & stepped on it.
Samuel caught up to the group & started Dylan down. Dylan's build was the same height as Jay's, but he was more lean & less muscular than Jay was.

Summer: Dylan, this is my dad, Samuel. Dad this is my boyfriend, Dylan.

Jay scoffed at the mention of the word: boyfriend. Dylan stuck his hand out to shake Samuel's hand. Samuel never returned the handshake leaving Dylan's hand awkwardly in the air for a few seconds. Jay walked up the steps to the house & stayed standing at the doorframe watching Dylan.
Summer remained clinging next to Dylan's side.

Dylan: Hello sir, it's so nice to finally meet you.
I've been looking forward to it.
Samuel: Hmm...

Samuel walked back in the house without saying much to Dylan. Jay followed in. Dylan was left confused & looked down at Summer.

Dylan: Did I say something?
Summer: No. Don't worry. He's just being a dad.
Dylan: And who's that other guy?
Summer: He's no one. How are you?
Dylan: Oh you know... Just missing you like crazy.

Dylan caressed Summer's hair & leaned down to kiss her. She kissed him back & could see Jay had come back out. He walked so close to Dylan & Summer & picked up his lighter outside.

Jay: Forgot this...

He stared at Summer & she looked back at him,but kept hugging Dylan. Jay was starting to make her feel uncomfortable. This was going to be a long week.