"Virginia Bound"

Summer had packed her bag & said goodbye to Serena & Grandma. Grandma was still not sure about Summer going with Jay, but she realized that Summer was not a little girl & that she was fully capable of making her own decisions.

Grandma: Please call me once you arrive.
Summer ran back up the steps to hug & kiss Grandma.

Summer: I know what I'm doing. Please don't worry about me. Ok?

Grandma smiled & whispered,"Ok". Summer hugged & kissed Serena & kissed her belly.

Summer: See you on Sunday.

Summer walked to Jay.

Jay: You ready?
Summer: I have to be.

Jay opened the passenger side for her, took her bag & placed it in the trunk. He hopped into the driver's side & they drove off. Jay was worried about Summer, but what she was going through wasn't anything new for him. Jay's life was full of loss. His mother died while giving birth to him. His father was a single dad & raised him all on his own. His own father died in battle as a marine as well. A few of Jay's marine friends also died in war. He knew that Summer would need time & also guidance. He wanted to give her that & he knew he could be there for her like no one else could.

Jay: You & Dylan are welcome to stay at my place.
Summer: Thanks. I'll let him know.
Jay: I'm sure he's landing soon.
Summer: Yeah. I should call him.

Summer tried calling Dylan, but couldn't get a hold of him. She texted, but he didn't reply. Summer let out a big sigh.

Jay: Something wrong?
Summer: He's probably still on the plane.
Jay: Yeah.

Jay couldn't help but glance over at Summer from the corner of his eye. He wanted to comfort her. He wanted to hold her.

Jay: Hey, Summer.
Summer: Yeah?
Jay: If you ever need anything. Anything at all. Please let know.
Summer: I will. Thanks, Jay. You've honestly been really helpful this week. I know my dad would've appreciated all that you're doing.
Jay: I owe him so much. When my pops died, other than my grandparents & a couple family members, your dad was all I had.
Summer: He was lucky to have you.

Jay shook his head & turned to look at Summer.

Jay: I was the lucky one.

They arrived at the airport. Jay took his bag & Summer's bag & fell in line. Summer tried calling Dylan again. No answer. She checked her text message inbox. No reply. She scratched her head & ran her fingers through her hair. She crossed her arms in frustration. Jay stood behind her & noticed her frustration. He bent down to her level & whispered in her ear,"It's gonna be fine." She gave him a small smile & nodded. She took her bag from him & continued walking in line. The attendant called them to the counter. It was an older lady with pretty gray hair.

Attendant: Flying to Virginia today?
Jay: Yes ma'am.
Attendant: Wow, this one's got manners. He must be a keeper?
She winks at Summer.
Attendant: You two are the cutest couple I've seen all day.
Summer: Oh, we're not...
Jay: Thank you!
Attendant: Enjoy your flight, lovebirds.

The attendant hands Jay & Summer their boarding passes. Jay thanks the attendant & snickers as he follows Summer towards the security line.

Summer: I don't believe this.
Jay: Aww come on, she thought we were cute.

Summer rolled her eyes & walked ahead of Jay. Jay smiled. They went through the security line quickly & soon reached their gate. Jay watched as Summer fiddled with her phone. She got up from her seat a couple times & walked around the gate area. She would put her phone up to her ear after dialing what he assumed was Dylan's number & then remove the phone from her ear second later. Jay shook his head & felt bad that Summer has been having difficulty getting a hold of Dylan. Dylan stood up & walked over to Summer. He placed his hand on her shoulder.

Summer: Sorry, are we boarding now?
Jay: No, I was just wondering if you wanted to get something to eat before our flight.
Summer: I'm not really hungry, Jay.
Jay: How about coffee? They might have those holiday flavors you like.
Summer: Ok...

Jay & Summer stood in line & Jay paid for Summer's drink.

Summer: Jay, you didn't have I pay for my drink.
Jay: I wanted to.
Summer: Thanks, that was really sweet of you.
Jay: Well, get used to it. You're not paying for anything when we get to Virginia. Come on, I think we're boarding now.