15 | A Wolf At The Door

Andromeda

            My head was tilted to side still feeling the sting from the slap.

            ‘Now, here’s what’s going to happen. You are going to come with me or I will drag you with me.’ Atticus’s voice was trailing along the pain that was on the surface of my face making me wince in response.

            ‘Why?’ I asked a dumb question as I knew why. He’d tried winning me back the old-fashioned way: going to therapy, anger-management classes, doing nice things like cleaning my laundry and making breakfast. I guess that entails telling lies about Alex and so-called warning me about Alex hurting me. Now, he’s taking me by force. My other hand gripped the wine glass that was sitting on the counter behind me tightly while Atticus was caressing the place where he slapped me.

            ‘I’m sorry bab-’ I interrupted him when I took the glass and bashed him in the head with it. It took him a minute. And as it did I ran.

            ‘You bitch!’ I heard him yell and I didn’t run fast enough because he caught up and grabbed my arm. He yanked me to his chest and tightened his grip on me. My back was to his chest and his arm wrapped around my waist while the other was around my neck. In that hand was the stem of the glass with the sharp end almost piercing my neck.

            ‘You never really loved me, did you…little slut.’ He said through gritted teeth.

            I said nothing as I was silently sobbing.

            ‘I just wanted you back that’s all…but he wants you. So apparently, there are other plans for you…’ Who is this he or him he keeps talking about? ‘Look at you. When I met you, you were a slender, innocent angelic beauty who was scared…and now you’ve become a whore who pleases any man who takes an interest in you…any man like Turner. How many did you have to fuck to get to him?’

            My sobbing was no longer silent and tears were dripping down my face. All I could think about was how I’m going to die and I’ll never see Alex again. I’ll never get to hear his laugh, his beautiful accented voice, touch his hair, and feel him ever again. Suddenly Atticus tightened his arm around my waist.

            ‘You need to be punished for all this despair you put me through’ He said in my ear,

‘No, p-please.’ I pleaded softly.

‘Shh…’ attempting to soothe my fear and continued softly, ‘and afterwards we are going back to the UK to visit a special friend of ours.’

Once his grip on my waist was secure, he ran the glass down my neck, piercing my skin and I screamed. Then I blacked out.

--

Alex

            After I surmised that it had to be Atticus, I told Brian about Atticus following Andy and me. Brian suddenly got seething mad. Anna told me about Andy’s past with Atticus Huntley. But there was a moment missing from her memory. Her therapist couldn’t even help her. Apparently someone left marks on her inner thighs. Those faint but visible pink marks that I’d seen. It’d been so traumatising for her that her brain blocked it from her memory.

Brian told me that he’d gotten a call from Emma who told him that her nightmares are coming back. And that they’d happened after she arrived from the morning she left me in the hotel. Me heart sunk so much, it was burning in me stomach acid. I’d caused her nothing but pain, from the very start. I’d came into her life too soon. I was truly rebound for her that day like she’d said. That’s why she couldn’t say the words I love you back to me. She was scared and everything was too soon. I need a cig.