Chapter 9: Through the Screen

Jason's blood rushed, warming his skin and making his hair stand straight. After all these years, Captain Jennsen would know what happened to his father. Jason would be there with him, seeing it all.

"Captain," Jason said.

The captain continued shoving against the cylinder.

"Captain!" Jason called. "Over here. I think this has something to do with your –"

Captain Jennsen rushed to him. He shoved Jason away from the screen, then stared open-jawed at the picture.

"What's this?" the captain mumbled.

"She's going to do it," Jason said. "The, uh, blue chick, I mean. She's going to tell you what happened to your dad."

Captain Jennsen's eyes widened. Jason remained back, watching emotions battle within the captain. After all this time, he was going to get answers. He stared back at the screen, doubt and nervousness creeping over his eyes, then he closed them. When they opened again he was as determined as ever. His hands formed into fists and he nodded.

The picture changed and a young boy's face was on the bottom of the screen. The blue chick, floating above the trees, was now laughing.

"That date," the captain said, pointing at the numbers. "That's the date Da said he was taken. This is from his lost camera!"

The picture changed again. This one showed a tall creature that resembled a deer, only its limbs were much longer and it had a horn on its head.

The pictures kept changing. Oddly-shaped flying creatures flew overhead, serpentine monsters with long necks were in a large body of water, miniscule four-legged creatures hopped along the branches, and a great multi-colored feathered lizard curled around eggs as it slept.

So this is where the chick got the lizard. Jason's heart broke again. Tears strolled down Captain Jennsen's upturned cheeks, his mouth hanging in wonder.

The scene changed. Instead of pictures of animals, a video of the man in the painting which hung in Captain Jennsen's office appeared.

"Da!" the captain cried.

"Captain's Log, 12-14-3-137," the man on the video said, sitting at a desk surrounded by documents. "Haven't made sighting of her still, yet I managed to catch readings of those strange blue lights." He took his cap off and ran his hand through his black hair. "She's out there. I know it. Why won't she come find me again? It's been so long and I have so many questions. Why?"

The screen blanked, displaying Captain Jennsen's face. His eyes were filled with more tears and his mouth was open wider. Another video started playing. Captain Jennsen's father now had bags under his bloodshot eyes and his skin had grown pale.

"Captain's Log, 4-18-9-137," he said. "I've decided to name those blue lights 'Transmensionals.' It's a mouthful, I know, but it's the only bit of progress I've made for myself this last quartrev. Though my first voyage ends tomorrow, she still eludes me. But I haven't given up." He stared toward the ceiling. "You hear me? I'll find you! I swear it!"

Another scene appeared.

"Captain's Log, 6-2-5-146," an older, greyer captain told the camera. "I feel like I'm losing everything. My money, gone. My crew, abandoned me. My wife, left me. My son..." Both father and son choked on unspoken words, split only by a screen and the passage of time. "He's the only one who ever truly believed in me. I won't let'm down. That I promise you. I'll find her, prove my theories, and make you proud of me, Abel."

Captain Jennsen choked again and hung his head. His shoulders shook as he sobbed silent tears. Jason felt disrespectful, invading on this private moment. That thought fled his mind at the next scene.