Chapter 1: The Apartment

"We're not screwed yet," Jason said, pressing the phone against his ear. "I still have a few more places to see before it gets too bad."

"No pressure, bro," Omar said. "It's only our lives at stake."

Jason chuckled, leaning into a tree's shade to hide from the brutal summer sun. Cars streamed by on the road before him. Jason waited until they were gone before he spoke again.

"I'll find something soon, I promise," Jason said. "Hopefully before my interview. If not, then I'll get us a place after."

"Does Mike know of this predicament?" Omar asked.

Jason rolled his eyes. Jason had used that word one time in high school and now Omar wouldn't stop saying it.

"No need to worry him," Jason said. "Poor guy would probably have an anxiety attack if I told him three places are a 'no go'. When are you getting a job here?"

"Bro, I don't got money to drive to Pamona," Omar said. "I'll get a job when classes start. If we have a place to live."

"I'll find something, don't worry." A bus pulled up to Jason's bus stop. He walked toward the vehicle, glancing at the apartment complex behind him. He frowned. It had been a nice place: clean buildings, tidy gym, good-sized pool, only slightly cramped rooms, and it wasn't too far from campus. At over five hundred dollars a month, however, it was way out of his price range. "My bus is here. I'll call you back. Hopefully with good news."

"If not, we can live under a bridge. I've always wondered what it's like to be a hobo."

Jason chuckled. "See ya, man."

"Later."

Jason ended the call as he entered the bus. Students about his age were placed intermittently on the bus, bearing backpacks or binders, likely here for summer courses.

Jason presented the driver the university ID he'd received during orientation a month prior. Thank God students got to ride the bus for free – and that Jason didn't have to prove he was currently taking classes. Jason would've had to walk around Pamona Springs in the sultry Florida summer if he did. He wouldn't have wanted to go to his job interview after that. He was already sweating from only waiting in the shade!

Jason sat back in one of the bus seats and closed his eyes, letting the blessed AC blow over him. The next complex will be the one. I just know it.

The circumstances that brought Jason here were nothing short of a miracle, despite his current problem. He'd been accepted into Pamona University for Pre-Vet and won a few scholarships to help him pay for books and most of his tuition. Thankfully, his parents could cover the rest of his tuition. They could not cover food and housing, however. That fell on Jason.

He'd looked for a job during preview last month. He'd filled out as many applications as he could that weekend and went home awaiting further news. Afterwards, he'd searched for the cheapest apartments in Pamona. Most were out of his price-range. Now that he was back in Pamona for the day, he was going to make a final look for apartments. Right now, he was hoping for a miracle. As it stood, he couldn't manage to live in any of these places on his budget.

Depending on how his job interview went today, he could afford a place on his own. He wasn't searching for only himself, however. His best friends from high school had also been accepted into Pamona University, and both Omar and Michael had similar financial situations.

At least the bookstore had called him back last week. He'd been worrying that he wouldn't get a job, let alone a place to live. Now, he could possibly kill two birds with one stone and get both. The three places he'd seen today had been a bust, but the day wasn't over yet. He'd get the job and find a cheap apartment.