Chapter 4: Impossibilities

Jason leaned forward, the bed below him creaking. Michael too stared at Alec with great intent. Only Omar leaned back, wrapped in a blanket, looking a little curious.

"To start," Alec said, smiling, "you're on the S.S. Jorah, sailing the waters of the Annit Ocean. Doesn't sound familiar, does it?"

Jason shook his head.

"That leads into the answer to your next question." Alec's smile dropped. "This is going to sound crazy, but you were brought here through those blue lights in the sky, the Transmensional, from your world to a different one."

"What?" Jason said.

"Bullshit," Michael said.

Alec smiled. "Knew that'd get a reaction from you. That's how those Transmensionals work. They take people from one world to a parallel one. That's why the lot of us are out here."

"We're in a different world?" Jason breathed. How was he supposed to wrap his mind around that? And did he say "us"? Himself included?

"I've seen that look before," Alec said. "Someone's having an existential breakdown." He looked to Michael. "Make that two of you, this one with a hint of fear, however." Then he raised an eyebrow at Omar. "You're taking this well."

Omar shrugged. "The chick freaked Jason out, now we're here. It's weird, but it's also pretty cool."

Alec leaned forward, eyes focused, and scratched his chin. "You are an intriguing one."

"Yup! What's the world's name, anyway?"

"What?" Michael screamed. "You're going to buy this garbage just like that?"

"Duh," Omar said. "Bro, we're here. It's stupid to think this place doesn't exist."

"But it shouldn't!" Michael exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air. "This stuff shouldn't be possible. Nothing in hard science can actually support any of this: Traveling to different worlds and a ghost girl sending us to one of them who happens to be living in our apartment? It's insane!"

"Most true things in life are, bud," Alec said. He gave Jason a knowing smile – he must have noticed Jason's eyes widening when Michael said "ghost". He continued, speaking while moving his hands. "Whether you're a man of science or religion there is one certain fact: there's always something out there that doesn't make sense.

"Just because you've only seen life on your planet doesn't mean you're alone. The universe is vast and many planets out there could easily sustain life. That doesn't mean your life isn't real. And your lack of knowledge of their lives doesn't make theirs fake.

"Same goes for other universes. Life is complex and strange. Whether you believe the many universes were created by something, or you believe nature alone drives itself forward, the result is technically the same. It's still convoluted and twisted.

"Just because you go through something groundbreaking doesn't mean everything you once believed in was wrong. If anything, I feel like it adds to your reality. So you were transported to a new world? Is that really against science? Aren't there theories about different dimensions existing next to yours?"

He directed this at Michael, whose mouth hung. Michael cleared his throat. "Yes, but I always thought they were unbelievable."

"What theory isn't unbelievable?" Alec asked. "Gravity: force pulls us toward large rocks. Evolution: genes adapt and eventually a fish can turn into a cat."

"But those are true!" Michael said. "If overly simplified."

Jason rolled his eyes. Of course Michael would mix evolution with the "true" theories.