Part 4: The Aftermath.

~~~~~

Stiles lay down on the couch, eyelids heavy, as vampires did need sleep, just not as much as humans. Derek sat down, lifting Stiles' head and placing it in his lap then running slow, calming fingers through the tangled mess of hair (Stiles had threaded his fingers through it a lot during the argument, successfully tying it in knots). "Stiles?"

"That could've gone worse," Stiles' unsure eyes met Derek's, desperate for some form of confirmation but Derek had nothing to say. He decided on nodding, wishing he had more to say to the beautiful boy, wishing he could hurt Scott for hurting not only Stiles but Isaac too. But that wasn't for him to do, if Stiles or Isaac wanted to hurt Scott he wouldn't stop them but, unless necessary, he would hold back.

"He's an asshole," Mason stated, everyone nodded in agreement but Stiles' face just became even more contorted with pain. "Why would he do that?" No one had an answer, not that one was needed; it had already been answered.

"Danny is taking Isaac back to his place, I suggested he stay for a Pack night but he said he just needs to be away for a few days," Lydia said as she strode back into the room, Danny and Isaac slipping out the door quietly. Derek couldn't help but notice Lydia seemed to lack the confidence she usually carried herself with, had replaced it with exhaustion.

The Pack slowly came back to themselves, still not right, still unsure and all in shock. Derek doubted they knew how to respond to a situation like this and assumed it would take them a while to really register what had happened. But he wasn't particularly worried about them right now. No, it was Stiles he was concerned about. Every time someone tried to ask Stiles how he was feeling he pulled further into himself. And every time someone looked his way he pushed further into Derek's hand, still in his hair, as if desperate to get away. This went on until Stiles' eyes finally met Derek's in a silent plea. "Come on." Derek kept his voice low but he knew Stiles heard him.

Stiles stood, Derek following, quickly taking hold of Stiles' waist as he swayed violently. "Where are you going, Batman?" Erica's voice seemed to pierce Stiles' crumbling form, Derek's grip tightened, afraid Stiles would fall.

"Home," Stiles made to move but Erica's voice stopped him once again.

"Stay, we'll have Pack cuddles and watch movies, it'll make you feel better. You don't have to listen to that asshole, he's wrong." Derek knew she meant well but he could tell it wasn't helping. In fact, it was probably doing the exact opposite.

"Thanks, Catwoman, but I just want to go home. Maybe next time, alright?" And before anyone else could argue, they left.

~~~~~

Stiles threw himself down on his bed, Derek cautiously lay down next to him, worried Stiles wouldn't want him to stay. All worries disappeared, though, when Stiles curled around him causing a flicker of warmth to tingle up Derek's whole body. "How are you holding up?" He kept his voice low, hushed, hoping Stiles would understand that if he didn't want to talk about it, he didn't have to.

It stayed quiet for a long time, the same kind of quiet that had filled the car on their way here: comfortable but blistering.

Finally, Stiles spoke, "I've been worse, I just can't believe he'd say that... or do any of what he did." His voice broke but he went on, "He used to be so sweet and accepting of everything. Like the time I came out to him as bisexual, he was so supportive and happy for me." Derek had never even thought about Stiles' sexuality. After he'd found out Stiles was a vampire he'd come to terms with his feelings for the younger man (it had only been two days since then) and had come up with a list of reasons as to why they could never happen. For some reason, Stiles not being into men in that way had never crossed his mind.

Now that he thought about it though, he wasn't at all shocked. Stiles had never tried to hide it with the obvious staring at Derek's chest when he was shirtless and sometimes at the others too. "And--" Stiles' voice cracked again pulling Derek out of his thoughts, he wound an arm around Stiles. "And when my mom died, he was there for me and when I was diagnosed with ADHD he didn't treat me differently like some of the other kids at school. And he was always there for me just like I was for him." A tear fell down Stiles' cheek, onto Derek's chest, he wiped his face furiously. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry, Stiles. What he did, how he acted, it was wrong and you being upset isn't something you should be sorry for." Finding words now was so much easier, it being just the two of them (the Sheriff was at work) made it easier. "You did a lot for him and he was like a brother to you and he threw that away because of some ridiculous prejudices. He's an idiot."

Stiles smiled weakly, "How come you're so good at talking when it's just us?" Of course, Stiles hadn't missed it, he didn't miss anything. But Derek had no idea what to say, he could tell him the truth but then Stiles would reject him and he didn't know if he could handle that. Lying wouldn't work as Stiles would know, having super hearing now. Maybe a half-truth?

"I feel comfortable when it's just you." That worked, it wasn't a lie but it wasn't the whole truth either.

"I'm glad. It goes both ways, by the way," Derek smirked but he was genuinely pleased with himself. There was a long pause and then, "I don't know what to do, I feel like I should be sad but I just kind of feel numb. Like it wasn't that much of a shock but it should've been... It really should've been." This seemed slightly contradictory to what he'd said earlier but Derek didn't question it, assuming he was just working through everything going on in his head. His emotions taking time to catch up with his thoughts, "What do I do?"

"I can't tell you that, Sti, I wish I could but it's up to you. You can always talk to me, you know?" Derek hated not being able to help Stiles. He hoped just being there would be enough because he never really talked about his feelings so he didn't know how to guide Stiles with talking about his own.

Stiles ran a finger in careful spirals over Derek's chest, moving in three points until Derek realised it was a triskelion, "I should hate him but I can't. I should hate him for what he did to me and for what he did to Isaac but to hate him would make this all too real." Derek nodded understandingly, reaching up to comb his fingers through Stiles' hair. He got what Stiles meant; Derek had also struggled to hate Kate after what she did, partly because he blamed himself and partly because he simply couldn't. It was too hard. Then when he had let himself hate her it had consumed him, taken ahold of his entire being and ripped him to shreds all over again.

He had not only hated himself for dating her, falling into her trap and hated her for existing and tricking him but also Peter for not being there. It wasn't even remotely Peter's fault as he had been in a coma but he had done nonetheless. That was too much hate for one person. And that mixed with the guilt and the grief and the pain of losing his family had caused him to practically self-destruct. Living in a burnt down house, in complete isolation from everyone, refusing to seek help; it had ruined him. He refused to let that happen to Stiles. He could not let this amazing boy disappear into a cloud of hatred and sorrow as he had done.

So he told him not to let the hate in, he told him that despite what others might say or think, it was better not to, he told him that if he felt like it was ever too much he should talk. Talk to Derek or his dad or Lydia, someone logical, someone rational. And maybe Derek wasn't either of those things but he was going to be there for Stiles and let no one stop him.

They fell asleep after that, Stiles' tears dried and Derek held him close, afraid he'd slip away and be gone forever.