Ten: Baby Talk & Piñatas

Chapter Ten: Baby Talk & Piñatas

"You ever think about having more kids?" Gemma bluntly questioned, as she eyed a green dinosaur piñata.

The energy was slowly draining from Jolene's body as she and Gemma walked around the plastic smelling party supply store. Mateo's birthday was still a few months away but, the SAMCRO matriarch was more than ready to start planning it, and there was no way Jolene was going to be the one to tell Gemma 'no' when it came to a party.

"Sometimes." Jolene said with a shrug. The brunette was an only child and, it was pretty fucking lonely at times. Sure, she always had people around but it wasn't the same. Jolene didn't want Mateo to feel the same way. "I'd do it differently this time though." She said with a slightly bitter tone.

"You and Hap would make another cute baby." Gemma smirked, as she placed the oversized piñata into the cart. The older woman couldn't help but stick her nose in Jolene and Happy's relationship. She knew Happy loved Jolene, but he wasn't good with his emotions and, she knew the doctor still loved the Tacoma Killer as well but tried to play it off. Gemma just wanted to lock the two in a room until they worked their shit out.

"Mateo doesn't need that big of a piñata." The brunette stated. She hoped to steer the conversation onto something else besides her and Happy's relationship, or lack of one. First Tig was telling her to work shit out with Happy, and now Gemma was implying the two should have another kid. It was making the doctor frustrated, it was as though they had forgotten why she wasn't with Happy anymore.

Gemma rolled her eyes and kept the piñata in the cart. She knew Jolene was deflecting from having a conversation about her and Happy, it was something the brunette doctor had gotten good at. "So, what?" Ideally, you marry a doctor like yourself and have the perfect house with another perfect kid or two?" Gemma asked, looking at Jolene with raised eyebrows. "Because that dream is bullshit baby, and if you really wanted that you wouldn't still be in Charming." Gemma pointed out, taking in the blank look on Jolene's face.

A sigh left Jolene's mouth as she listened to Gemma's words. It was true. Jolene didn't want that bullshit 'perfect' dream life. She didn't want the so called Disney prince. The brunette had dated guys like that in college, and they all left her feeling ten times worse about herself. But, that didn't mean her and Happy were meant to be. She just wanted a nice, normal guy and maybe, Liam Boyd could be her nice normal. And, if she never found someone? Well, fuck it. She had Mateo and that's all she needed.

"That not what I want at all, Gem." Jolene said, getting into the shopping spirit and tossing a package of dinosaur plates into the cart. "I mean, I want a stable relationship if I decide to ever bring another child into this world." She didn't feel the need to go into details, she knew Gemma would understand what she meant.

"I know, baby." Gemma said with an understanding tone. "Just let him show you that he's trying."

Jolene nodded, holding in the bitter words that wanted so desperately to escape her mouth. She knew Happy was 'trying' but, he had a very different version of trying than Jolene did. All she cared about was making sure Happy didn't break Mateo's heart.

/&/

Jolene walked into the clubhouse, her dark eyes looking for Happy. The bald biker had offered to watch Mateo while she was dragged out shopping with Gemma, and now that shopping was done with Jolene was more than ready to get home, cook dinner, and give Mateo a bath before bedtime. The brunette pursed her lips as her eyes landed on Juice, who sat on a couch with a laptop on his legs and Mateo next to him.

"Mommy!" Mateo yelled with excitement as his dark eyes landed on her. "Uncle Juicy was letting me play a game on the computer!" He smiled, jumping up from the couch and running towards Jolene.

"Hey, Jo." Juice looked up from the laptop, giving her a dorky smile. "He was playing Minecraft." Juice reassured once he saw the look on her face.

"Okay." She said slowly, not exactly sure what the fuck a 'Minecraft' was. "Where's Happy?" She asked as she picked up Mateo, placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Uh." Juice mumbled as he closed the laptop, and rubbed a hand over his mohawk. "He has a job to do. I offered to watch the little guy while he worked." Juice explained with a nervous smile forming on his face.

"Uncle Tig went too." Mateo said sadly, as he laid his tired head onto Jolene's shoulder.

Jolene ran a hand over Mateo's curly hair and let out a sigh. "How long has he been gone?" It was infuriating that Happy had left Mateo with Juice while he went to do his so called job. It wasn't that Jolene didn't like Juice, she did. But, he wasn't exactly the brightest one in the bunch. Jolene had specifically told Happy to call Lyla if anything came up. She knew her blonde friend would gladly watch the toddler.

"Uh, a while." Juice said slowly.

The doctor shook her head and turned on her heel towards the exit. She knew that meant he had more than likely been gone since she dropped Mateo off. "Thanks Juice." Jolene turned around, a thankful smile on her annoyed face.

Juice gave her a smile and nod before turning his attention back to his laptop.

Jolene walked to her Jeep with an already sleeping Mateo in her arms. This was Happy's version of trying and she wasn't so sure if it was going to be good enough for Mateo, or her.

•••

(A/N: Sorry for the boring filler chapter but, it's setting up for some stuff in future chapters. Next chapter will probably be/ have a flashback . Thank you for the votes,comments, and views! Much appreciated! Don't forget to vote/comment!)