Nine: Chocolate Chip Pancakes & Cuddles

Chapter Nine: Chocolate Chip Pancakes & Cuddles

A smile graced Jolene's face as she watched Mateo and Eva cook breakfast together, the latter doing most of the work while Mateo shoved chocolate chips into his mouth. She had reservations about coming to Bakersfield with Happy at first but, once they arrived and Jolene saw how happy Eva was, she quickly get over them. Eva Lowman's house was always a welcoming comfort to the brunette doctor, and comfort was something she needed right now.

"It smells good in here." Jolene spoke, walking into the kitchen and grabbing a coffee cup from the cabinet. "I hope you're helping grandma, and not just eating all the chocolate." Jolene said, raising an eyebrow at the three year old whose hands and face were covered in candy.

"Uh." Mateo hummed, as he quickly shoved a few more pieces into his mouth, a sheepish smile forming on his face.

Jolene shook her head and let out a laugh. She really needed to start monitoring Mateo's time with Tig, he was beginning to act just like him. The brunette poured herself a cup of coffee, pouring in three spoonfuls of sugar and some milk. Her bare feet padded across the cold black and white tiled floor as she made her way to the kitchen table, a euphoric sound left Jolene's mouth as she took a sip of the hot coffee. Jolene didn't understand how Eva's coffee was always the best she had ever tasted. As far as the brunette knew it was just your average store brought coffee.

"He's just like his daddy." Eva said with a proud smile, as she flipped a pancake. "Happy always use to eat the chocolate too. It was the only reason why he helped me cook them." The older woman said with a fond laugh.

"Morning, Ma." Happy's raspy voice entered the kitchen before he did.

Jolene watched as he entered the kitchen, wearing only a pair of gray sweatpants. The brunette bit down on her bottom lip as she watched him walk over towards his mom and placed a kiss on her cheek, and then awkwardly ruffled Mateo's hair. Jolene fucking loved Happy in gray sweatpants and, she knew that he knew that. It was one of her weaknesses when it came to the tattooed biker that, and his tattoos. The brunette saw a smirk on his face as he looked at her while pouring himself a cup of coffee. The fucker knew exactly what he was doing.

"Morning, Jo." Happy said, taking over the empty chair across from her.

"Look at this!" Eva exclaimed, her voice cutting off Jolene before she could even mutter a 'morning' back to Happy. "My family is back together again." She said, placing a plate of bacon on the table. "I'm so happy." Eva places a kiss on Jolene's cheek, then placed one on Happy's before walking back over to the stove.

Jolene watched as the smirk left Happy's face, it was quickly replaced by his usual unemotional one. It suddenly felt like there was giant elephant in the room, and only Jolene and Happy knew about it. Neither of them wanted to break Eva Lowman's heart but, they couldn't let the older woman think they were back together.

"I'm going to go get changed." Jolene announced, pushing her chair back from the table. "Tell her." The brunette mouthed to Happy, motioning with her head towards his mom. "Come on Mateo, lets get you cleaned up before breakfast."

"Okay, Mommy." He smiled, jumping down from the chair he was standing on, and walking over towards Jolene.

"Ma, Jolene and me aren't back together." Jolene heard Happy say as she walked out of the kitchen. The brunette wasn't certain but she thought there was a hint of sadness in his voice as he spoke.

"Please, you two love each other." Eva pointed out the obvious. "I don't want to hear anymore." She said, waving a dismissive hand Happy's way.

Happy shoved a piece of bacon in his mouth, and kept quiet on the topic. He knew better than anyone else to disagree with his Ma. "But, I'm trying." He muttered to himself.

/&/

Jolene let out a frustrated sigh as she tossed and turned for what felt like the millionth time, trying to find a comfortable position on the twin sized mattress. It didn't help that it was a ridiculously hot night in Bakersfield, and Eva Lowman didn't believe in air conditioners. The old noisy box fan that sat in the open window was no help at all either. "Fucking hell." She groaned, wiping away the sweat that had built up on her forehead.

The abrupt creaking from the door as it was slowly opened cause Jolene to let out another sigh. She had figured Mateo would have a hard time sleeping as well. "Can't sleep either, booboo?" Jolene asked, sitting up on the bed. A look of shock crossed her features for a moment before she recomposed herself. "Everything okay?" She asked, her dark eyes looking at Happy.

"Booboo?" Happy asked, his voice held amusement in it. "It wouldn't be my first choice but, it's better than asshole." He said with a low laugh.

Jolene rolled her eyes. "What do you want, Hap?" It felt like fireworks were going off inside of her at the sound of Happy's laugh. She loved his laugh, it had been so long since Jolene had heard genuine laughter from the usually stoic man.

Happy made his way towards the bed, his coal colored eyes taking in Jolene's body. He wanted nothing more than to just fuck her into tomorrow right now but, Jolene wasn't some croweater, and he wouldn't treat her like one. If Happy really wanted to show her he was trying, he had to do it the right way. "Just checkin' on you, booboo." He smirked while sitting down on the bed.

"I can't fucking sleep." Jolene said with frustration. "It's like a fucking sauna in here."

Happy simply nodded as he made himself comfortable on the bed. He couldn't sleep either but, it wasn't because of the heat, thoughts of Jolene were keeping the biker wide awake.

"Happy, don't fall asleep." Jolene warned, earning her a grunt in response.

The brunette rolled her eyes and laid down next to him, the small bed creaking under their weight. Jolene immediately felt Happy's arms wrap around her waist, his face nuzzled into her shoulder. She let out a small laugh, for a man who sure hated showing his emotions he sure did love to cuddle. "Goodnight, Hap." A feeling of deja vu coming over her as she closed her eyes.

Jolene knew the cuddling and sleeping in the same bed together had to stop and, soon. She could feel herself getting pulled back in, and that was the last thing the doctor wanted. Especially if she planned on accepting a transfer out of Charming.

•••
(A/N: Thank you all so much for the votes/comments, and views!! I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving! Don't forget to vote/comment ☺️)