And, wherever you stood on this fateful day, you are deeply involved in the Maelstrom Company: the largest private corporation in the world, with investments and affluent sectors in more than 50 disciplines. Present in every continent around the globe, they are most known for their banking market but are also active in deep-sea and space exploration, disease control, and weapons manufacturing for more than 32 countries. Hell, they even hold collegiate level STEM competitions. If you can think of something, they've likely got their tendrils in it. It's a household name, more influential than Amazon or Apple could ever hope to be. It's very much the ghost in the back of your head.

     But still, you are deeply involved. You are one of two people: An elite soldier, who elected to either retire from the Navy SEALS, SAS, JTF2, etc, or maybe are a special person of interest, for the Maelstrom PMD - or Private Military Division. It's one of, if not the most elite unit in the world, with Maelstrom siding by quality over quantity. Its top echelon consists of twelve operatives, whose names are kept secret for the safety of their families...

     Or, you're a captured teenager. You were abducted by the company and brought to the Prince George Maelstrom facility, also named the George Site, to be a test subject for new formulas to combat deadly diseases. It could be a cure for cancer or toxic gas. Their latest test malfunctioned, giving you special abilities and powers. Only twelve of you survived their contingency plan, however. If that plan were to escape the shadowed streets of the city, the Maelstrom Company would be fought by the world. The CEA, Mister Raleigh Anafoli, will not let the truth escape the top bureau of executives. Not even the Operatives know of the true course of events.

     This interactive is like none other that I've done. This is a 12 versus 12 battle of operatives and super-powered young adults. It's grueling and unfiltered war in the remote Canadian wilderness.

     The only question is, which side will you choose?

...

Crypto-Key Accepted, Access Granted

-MESSAGE SENT FROM CHARYBDIS_CONTROL
-MESSAGE RECEIVED IN KENORA_ONTARIO_CANADA
-1700 Hours, Sixth Of April
-Requested by Chief Executive Administrator Raleigh Anafoli
-Sent to Commandant Operative Capris Von
-THE SECURE TRANSMISSION READS AS FOLLOWS:
-
R: Commandant Operative Von, these kids.. blew a hole in our base.
C: You have got to give me more than what you are giving me, sir.
R: I can't spare the details as of now. It's a threat to the company's security.
C: Then give me something more. There's got to be something you can spare.
R: Fine, if this is what it takes.
C: Go on.
R: Don't rush me.
C: Fine. Continue with leisure.
R: These kids we're sending you to deal with... they're not normal. They have enhancements. Like little superheroes.
C: Oh boy.
R: They were... volunteers for experimental technology in our medical division. The latest test malfunctioned, and that's how they got powers.
C: Go on, sir.
R: They decided enough was enough. Now, they've broken out, and have done so by force. They are dangerous when armed with their power. The city was destroyed by them, Von.
C: Shit, do you reckon we're capable of dealing with them, sir?
R: I would have refrained from calling you if I did not.
C: Understood.
R: I'm chartering you a flight. It'll appear in two hours. I'm flying the team to Regina, where we will discuss further and brief the rest of the operatives.
C: Alright, sir.
R: See you there.
-
TRANSMISSION ENDED

...

     The door opens as I walk inside briskly, taking note of the incoming snowstorm and locking up the cleaning house. I had set it to freezing room temperature, just so the giant moose wouldn't be wasted.

     My nose is blasted by a warm, sweet smell that was all too familiar. I look right, and a red, glass mug of steaming hot chocolate was waiting on the table. "I made some hot chocolate," Maria says, adding a spruce log to the fireplace.

     "Thanks," I say, untying my boots and removing my coat. "You didn't meet me hunting today," I say, motioning to her sling crossbow on the wall.

     "Yeah," she sighs. "I was comfortable here, you know?"

     "I got you," I state, grabbing the hot chocolate and sitting on the couch with her. The television showed a looping radar, with a heavy winter storm coming in. "You can deal, I hope?"

     "Of course," she says before her face turns sour. She takes a sip, looking disappointed. "You must be leaving."

     "It's not my choice, honey," I reply, resting my hand over her opposite shoulder before we lean in together. "Sorry."

     "Don't be," she says calmly. "I'll make a snowman to greet you when you get back."

     "Thanks," I laugh, taking a sip and zooming the tv out. That would slow down traffic for a few days at least. "The helicopter will be in town in an hour and a half, I'm told."

     "What are you doing?" She asks, and I sigh. We'd been through this before.

     "Honey, you know I can't tell you," I mutter, sipping the hot chocolate. She sighs her only response to it at this point.

     "Then just say where. Anything," she replies.

     "BC," I let slip out. "That's all. They'd kick my ass if they knew I said that."

     "Thank you," She says, at least somewhat comforted. "Just come home."

     "Will do," I say, standing up and making my way to my armory.

~ a foreword ~

     This story was beginning development in early December of 2019. It is an entirely original premise, and so I hold full copyright power over my own story. Don't plagiarize, guys. Not that it's happened before, but that wouldn't be very cash money of you.

     In terms of my interactive stories, this is the spiritual successor to IHG but is NOT in the same timeline. It's a completely fresh take since by the sixth book, IHG was getting repetitive to write.

     Also, see that cover art? It's made by Brightstudioonline, who helped storyboard this concept early on. This is my official Thanks.

     With that, we may begin.