Them Unicorns

11th horror story to celebrate! :D

Rantaro was obviously known as the type of guy to fear everything. 

In fact, his fears are so outrageous to the point it is public that everyone knows he is afraid of unicorns.

Though, tensing in his bed, he knows that some of his worst fears are rational. It's just that no one knows the reasoning behind them. No one knows why he is like that except him. Nobody would help him at all.

He's afraid of many things.

He's afraid of falling off a building. He's afraid of getting into some shooting accident. He's afraid of being poisoned by his very own food. He's even afraid of getting stabbed by some stranger.

It wasn't like he told anyone he had these fears. Rantaro shuddered under his own blankets, picturing all the possibilities that might happen if anyone knew he was afraid of so many things. Despite his hatred for school and all the stress it caused, he couldn't bear the idea of attending counseling instead of normal classes. He couldn't bear the idea of his paranoia being obviously shown — Valt and the others always recognized him as a funny guy, happy and supportive.

It was a mask to hide all his fears that would have otherwise made him seen lunatic. Even that fear of unicorns was enough to make people laugh and question his sanity. But luckily, no one speaks of it often. It is often brushed past. And thanks to that, no one will ever figure out why he has these fears. 

He sunk into his bed, pulling the thick blankets over his head even more.

Rantaro tried his best not to yelp in the darkness.

But he couldn't help but think that something — someone — was still around, waiting to see him once again. Even if it had been a while.

His worries morphed into pure anxiety, and then transformed into a monstrous reality he thought he could hear from outside his shelter. Rantaro tried to tell him, It's fake. It's fake, it's not coming, but his brain kept telling him it was.

A merry musical chime played from the hallway leading up to Rantaro's room. The merry music that often reminded people of colorful unicorns that ran on rainbows, singing and humming for children.

Rantaro heard the music get louder.

This wasn't the first time he heard it. The first time he heard this melody was long ago, at a party he would rather forget and wished he ran away from. He didn't know what age he was at all. All he knew was that he was very young. Young enough to be walking and knowing what a party was, but not old enough to understand everything. 

The party took place at a party house, which had all sorts of games and entertainers. There were various rooms with all sorts of purposes: Skee-ball, music, a playground, etc. 

It was a birthday party Rantaro had attended, for one friend whom he doesn't remember well. The only face — or rather, figure, as he was not exposed to the face at all — was a man dressed in a costume.

There he was, young and looking up at the man in the bright pink suit. The bright pink suit ended at the top with an equine's head, tipped with a multi-colored horn and bright purple mane. Something about the head unnerved Rantaro; maybe it was the fact he could nor see the man's face, or maybe it was the horse's blocking teeth and derpy eyes. 

Rantaro was supposed to be going to the bathroom, but he was somewhat lost. That's how he found himself in one empty hallway with the unicorn man.

"Young one, aren't you supposed to be partying with the other children?" the unicorn man asked in a strange tone. It sounded very polite, but Rantaro brushed it off as the man trying to be in character with his costume. What bothered him instead was how he didn't see the man here before.

Had he followed him?

"I wanna go to the restroom," Rantaro told him meekly, but the unicorn man remain unchanged.

"Do you want to play?"

"I wanna go."

"You must have fun first before doing anything else! That is the rule of a party!"

Rantaro would leave and go on with his business, but his mother always taught him that it was rude to leave the conversation without warning. But what could he even do? Every time he tried to give the hint, the man seemed to not budge.

He decided to take his chance anyway, ignoring one moral his mother have taught him. But the unicorn man waddled up to him again, blocking his path and extending his arms to block him. 

"The party! It's supposed to be fun! Why not have fun first and then you can go?" 

No response from Rantaro.

"Kids like you love to have fun!" 

Again.

The questions kept repeating. The unicorn man sounded like he was trying super hard to sound entertaining, given at how "fake" his voice sounded. He kept using that voice and Rantaro wished he could have covered his ears.

"Do you want to play?" the unicorn man extended one hand out in a polite gesture.

"Fine," Rantaro sighed out, defeated.

The unicorn man reached into the costume's back pocket, and pulled out something sharp. It looked like something Rantaro's mom used to prepare the ingredients for soup.

"Let's play a game. Want to touch this? It's a unicorn horn, but a different shape! To go to the bathroom, you must have the unicorn horn touch you so you can magically teleport there!" 

That seemed promising, though. Rantaro liked the idea of teleportation.

"Want it to touch you?" he repeated again. But Rantaro's brain started to doubt the object; it looked too sharp, and something instinctively told him sharp objects weren't very safe. "You get to go, buddy!"

"Y-yes." 

And the unicorn man lowered the unicorn horn swiftly.

Rantaro screamed. 

He still didn't know who the unicorn man was. All he knew was that he wasn't supposed to be at the birthday kid's party.

Rantaro screamed in his bed, though with more pain than he felt at the birthday party. With more pain because he knew he was hallucinating about what had happened before, even though he was fully aware it's not real.