One [j]

"I think this is the last one." Justin, my long time friend and assistant throws the final box with my personal items to the trunk of my car.

"This is it then." I closed the trunk and turned around to face him.

After 3 years in the Signature, Inc, a new opportunity was calling my name. I was grateful for everything that the owner had done for me. He gave me an internship and then a position at the building development department. He saw my devotion to him and his company and, as a reward, he supported me for 3 years. Now, it was time to reach out to new heights and bigger plans.

When the International Architecture Company emailed me asking me for a meeting, he was the first person to know. I remember his words as I was hearing them at this very moment.

"Go get them kid"

He wasn't mad or disappointed, more like proud. He was upset because he knew I was probably leaving but he didn't hold me back or snapped at me for leaving his company. He just encouraged me, which made my decision a little less harder than it was before. Not much, just a little.

After two interviews they made me the best proposal they could. There was nothing there that could lead me to turn it down. Executive flights, the best hotels and a more than enough paycheck. The only thing that was holding me back was everything I had here. My parents, my friends, my stable life and my boyfriend.

Tom and I were in a relationship for 3 years. He made a move when we graduated from college and ever since we have been inseparable. I secretly had a crush on him, but never thought he actually found me attractive. When he invited me over for a graduation celebration party and I accepted, I just didn't knew that what seemed an innocent invitation would turn out on one of the biggest adventure in my life. Now, I'm glad that I went to his party that night.

I would say that our story is very romantic, since we were on opposite sides of the country working on our careers. Him as a programmer and me as an aspire to architect. After endless late phone calls, excapes on weekends and unexpected appearances on each other's places Ocasionally, he made another move.

On a warm September night, he took me for a ride. The radio was playing, the lights shyly appeared throughout the darkness and the wind whispered quietly, almost as it didn't want to break our little moment. As we were laying on the grass in an empty field, he squeezed me here and there. Whether he pulled me a little closer to the heat of his body, or simply intertwined our fingers giving it a light squeeze, it seemed like he wanted to be as closer as possible. I didn't say a word, just responded to his touch, kissing him on his chest or neck to reassure him.

"Do you ever think about the future?" I nodded against his chest, cuddling closer to him if that was possible.

"Me too" this time I looked at him and he had a lovely expression on his face, staring at the tiny stars across the sky like it was the most precious thing in the world. I could tell he was nervous, so I gave him what he needed to carry on.

"How do you picture it?" he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, like he had it right in front of him and he was enjoying the view.

"You and me, a house on a small village close to the river and a chocolate golden retriever running around like crazy." My heart was beating fast as I was listening to his confession. There was nothing else in the world better than us living together.

"There is nothing I would love more than that love", I said, kissing him deeply afterwards. He smiled at me and pulled me close once again. He broke the silence, catching me off guard.

"What if we anticipate the future?" I gave him a doubtful look, but he quickly enlightened me.

"Check your pocket." reaching for the pocket of the hoodie I was wearing, I felt one key. It was our apartment's key. At the time, I had never felt this happy, but now I have to leave it all behind.

When I told him about the offer, he was obviously upset. Not because he did not want me to progress in my career , but because it would be a huge obstacle for our relationship. We had fought for a long time to be together and now we would be apart again.

I honestly thought about giving up on the proposal for our relationship, but he didn't let me. On the last minute he stopped me from going to the company's building and proposed, saying he would travel six thousand miles if that would be what it took to see me. I ended getting in the building but to accept the job.

Now I was leaving Signiture for a long time, ready to travel the world and develop my skills as an architect.

"Thank you for everything Justin" I hugged him, but didn't leave without saying what that incredible guy deserved to hear. "You have a lot of potential, don't let anyone step in front of what you want" he hugged me again, thanking me and then waited until I drove away from the sidewalk and hopped on the driveway.

*****

"Do you have everything you need?" my handsome boyfriend asked me as he grabbed my suitcase. I nodded, reaching for his hand and intertwining our fingers.

"Let's go then"

The car ride was silent, the radio playing was the only noise you could hear apart from his sniffles. He was crying for letting me go and it made me feel guilty for taking this step without him by my side, but deep down I knew I was doing the right thing.

"Please be safe don't burn the house while I'm away" he let out a loud chuckle, resting his head against the car seat. I let my hand move up to his cheek drawing small circles on it. He closed his eyes for a moment enjoying the sensation and then kissed my hand.

"I love you Juliet, always will." And with that, we shared one last kiss before I got out of the car and walked inside the busy airport.

Saying goodbye to the man I love was hard, but I was ready to say hello to my new life.