As a result, whenever I spent any amount of time in the throne room (which wasn't terribly often), either one of my mates would yield their throne to me, or, more commonly, insist that I sit on their laps instead.

I was currently seated across Marcus' lap, and he had his arm wrapped loosely around my waist, looking perfectly at ease. Caius spoke. "And it is a rather exclusive party, as I'm sure your guard has already informed you. Only the higher-ranked guard members are allowed to attend, unless they take a particular liking to one of the lower members, which doesn't happen very often."

"Yes, Felix told me," I said. "He said he'd get Heidi to send me an invitation. Though I'm not completely sure why that's needed, considering we all live in the same building."

"It adds to the appeal," Aro said. "You've been informed that it's a costume party?"

"Yes. I'm excited. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with," I said.

Fortunately, I didn't have much of a wait before Halloween arrived. "The party starts at eight," Santiago said, swaggering into my quarters without even bothering to knock on the afternoon of Halloween.

I glanced up from my book. "I could have been naked, you know."

"Do you often walk around your wing naked?" he retorted.

"No. But you really should knock," I said fruitlessly. As long as Santiago knew that I was the only one occupying my quarters, he would rip off his arm before he would knock to come in.

He shrugged. "I'll consider it. What's your costume?"

"It's a secret," I said. "What's yours?"

Santiago squinted at me. "It's a secret."

"Is it? Or are you just saying that because I said it?"

"Which do you think?"

"I think you're petty enough for it to be the latter," I said, closing my book and setting it aside. "Did you need something, or are you just here to bug me since you're bored?"

"A bit of both, I suppose. Technically I'm responsible for guarding you, but I didn't see any reason not to have a little fun with it. Plus, I wanted to make sure you wouldn't be late."

"When have I ever been late for anything? Besides, I've been looking forward to this party since Felix told me about it. Trust me, I wouldn't miss it," I said.

"Did Felix tell you that most attendees come with dates?" Santiago asked.

"No. Do you have one?" I asked interestedly. He muttered something that I didn't quite catch. "What was that?"

"Maybe. What does it matter?" he grumbled.

I gave him a look. "You're the one who brought it up."

"Why are you the way that you are?" Santiago asked. "I only brought it up because I wanted to know if one of the masters is escorting you. Nobody knows, because it's not like anyone will ask the masters, and you've never brought it up. That's why I made the comment. Not because I wanted you to drill me on my love life."

"Oh, so you do have a love life! Who's the unlucky lady?" I asked, grinning.

He shot me an annoyed look. "What did I do to you to deserve this, queenliness?"

"You brought up dates. And your reaction confirms that you have one. If you don't tell me, I'm going to begin guessing names, and I'm going to start with the men," I said.

He let out a longsuffering sigh. "Fine. I'm taking Renata."

I blinked. "I thought you guys hated each other."