Miserable Company [19]

Start from the beginning

"Just keep it to yourself," she answered, suddenly finding interest in the bookshelf beside her. She tried to clear her voice, tried to regain the power she'd had in this conversation only a moment ago. It was hard to be intimidating when all she could think of were Lucien's fingers on her and in her hair.

Lucien smiled. "Of course. It'll be our little secret."

Lanna left Lucien smirking in the library shortly after. She'd thought it earlier that day and couldn't help thinking it again: the witch was a charming talker. She was meant to meet him, threaten him, cut him if she had to-get him to swear he wouldn't tell a living soul about her tattoo or her other guild, but instead, she felt like she had just met her lover in a clandestine tryst. The thought made her cheeks redden.

Could she trust him to keep his word? What's to say he hadn't already contacted Archmage Calcifer or Grisilda or the King? Cashed in on a cheating thief and lying mage?

Nox's words came to her again: don't trust him.

She was stood outside her bedroom door. She looked at the white frame and its silver handle. Then she turned and looked at the identical one across the corridor. She decided to rasp on that one instead. A muffled voice came through the wood and it opened. Nox stood on the other side, shirtless, his hair messed and a yawn escaping his mouth. He peered at Lanna through tearful eyes.

"Why are you up so late?"

"I needed a breath of fresh air," she muttered, lying. "It didn't help." She pushed past him and moved into his room. Nox closed his door.

"Is there something you need?" His voice was irate. Lanna ignored it.

"A drink probably," she grumbled. Seeing no such thing in the room, she slumped herself onto his dishevelled bed. "Company will suffice otherwise."

"Glad you think so." Nox moved to a closet to pull out a cotton shirt. As he pulled it over his head, Lanna watched the muscles in his back tense. She was reminded of their swim just outside Riftling. He looked just as good now as he had then.

Nox turned on Lanna. "Is there something bothering you?"

"If there is, I certainly don't want to talk about it."

Nox hesitated, looking as if he had more to say. He moved to sit beside Lanna at the foot of his bed.

"Alderyth will want us up early tomorrow. We'll have to inspect the forest, collect data. Do some research, configure a spell."

"I know."

"So you'll probably want to sleep before then."

Lanna laughed cynically. "I wouldn't get some even if I tried."

Nox frowned. Lanna could tell he was studying the fatigue that now showed on her face. The bags were gone this morning thanks to the wondrous magic of the servants but she felt like they were still there. She could feel the weight of them bearing on her cheeks, sagging them.

"You never mentioned you were struggling with sleeping," he said despondently. "What's keeping you up?"

Nightmares.

Lanna looked at her feet.

"Nothing in particular," she lied, yet again. Images flooded her mind: a dragon soaring through dark, angry clouds, a terrifying inferno below it. The thought alone made her feel like she was trapped in her bathtub once more, struggling against the surface of the water. Nox placed a comforting hand on her lap.

"It's okay," he soothed, his face ebbed with gentleness. She was shaking, she realised too late. Hastily, Lanna rose. What was she thinking coming to his room?