Riftling [5]

Chapter Five
Riftling

Lannasia

Lanna was awake before the others the next day. The fire had burnt out overnight and the horses were resting by their post. She decided to go on a search for breakfast to tide her growling stomach.

Not far from camp she found a fruit tree and helped herself to a handful. Then, once satisfied, she stashed a few more in her carry bag for later. The stolen artefact twinkled from within her satchel. She had almost forgotten she had it. Gently, she lifted it out and inspected it.

"What are you, little thing?" she murmured to herself. "Unbreakable to a sword but so valuable that I almost lost my head for you...?"

She turned it in her hands. Like before, it was cold and dull. Its earlier vivid colours had gone grey. When she shook it, something inside went clink, clink. Was it a magical locket? An over-sized egg-shaped jewel?

Whatever it was, she knew she wanted rid of it. She couldn't risk Kantillion snatching it up again, and if it was so critical in his evil plan of treason, then it could be dangerous to carry with her at all times.

Placing the artefact back into her bag and continuing through the trees, Lanna eventually came across a glistening pond. The water danced in the beaming sunlight, daring her to sink beneath its sparkling surface. Big, thick trees surrounded the pond, providing good cover from peeping eyes. Lanna glanced to her clothes, from her torn tunic and mud-covered leather pants. She wasn't ready to begin imagining what state her hair was in.

"I think it's time for an overdue dip," she said, removing her boots, her bag and her weapons. She lay them on a rock near the edge and then threw herself into the pond, clothes on.

She peeled away her vest, her shirt, her pants and undergarments while letting them wash in the clean water. She hung them on a long tree branch to dry and then proceeded to paddle in the pond for a good hour, scrubbing her body and her hair with her hands as she went. She could smell the improvement it made. How long had it been since she'd last felt clean?

"Enjoying the swim?" a silvery voice interrupted her. Lanna swiftly sunk into the water so only her head poked above, although she knew the pond was so pristine and clear that most her skin would still be on show. Nox came out of the trees and stilled, arms crossed, with a teasing smile on his lips.

"Did you follow me?" Lanna scoffed.

Nox walked over to her clothes and began inspecting them as they dried.

"I came to let you know we were ready to move on. The King's Road is just a bit ahead. Alderyth believes we can be out of this forest and in a nice, cosy Riftling inn by sundown." Nox then glanced to Lanna. "Although, it looks like you're already all cosy here. Perhaps I shouldn't disturb."

Lanna's cheeks flared red in anger.

"Of course you shouldn't. You shouldn't even be here while a lady bathes!"

"A lady?" Nox laughed. "I see no lady." Then, after short deliberation, he began to remove his shoes. Lanna took a step into deeper water.

"What are you doing?"

"I changed my mind."

He started to remove all the layers of his robes. A white tunic and matching slacks peeked beneath. Even as Lanna seethed at his practical joke, she couldn't help but watch him undress.

Beneath his shirt was a slim but toned frame. She was surprised to see such defined muscles in his stomach and his chest. When Nox began to remove his pants, Lanna found the decency to look away, even as a small part of her wanted to continue ogling.