"Hey. It's fine. I'm not gonna hurt you." I decided to try my luck, figuring that if I got incinerated for mentioning this, at least I didn't have much more to lose in the first place. "You're Vick's...partner, right?"

The demon's face fell. After a few seconds, he nodded with a whimper. It sounded like he had two voices layered on top of each other. I held out the piece of paper as the dust settled.

"Can you give this to Nyx for me? Or Lucy, or Edith, whoever's in there that knows who I am." I shook the paper a bit when he didn't move, and he shifted back with a hiss. I sighed.

"It has to do with them, if you're wondering. Vickson. Can you just...do this one little thing? It'll be a thank you, from me to them."

The demon glowered, black tears beading up in his eyes. He croaked after a while, "Vickson...dead. No point. Highest will..."

"He won't find out. If he does, he won't do anything about it. I promise—"

"Filthy human," it spat as I got too close. I frowned and backed up, holding up my hands.

"Hey. Let's not be mean. I just want Jack's mask back, he still hasn't woken up yet. And I don't think either of us can go back to the realm." I stood up and sighed, dropping the note at his feet. "Just...take this to anybody you know. Sorry to bother you while you're grieving."

As I turned away, something seemed to click in the little demon, and I heard a light fizzle behind me.

"Wait."

Its voice was clearer now. Still distorted, but it sounded like it had collected himself. I faced it again with my best attempt at a patient expression. Go on.

"Jack...Vickson...friends," it mustered, twiddling its thumbs nervously. I nodded with furrowed eyebrows.

"Yeah. Friends."

It gave me a little nod of its own. It seemed as if it finally understood what I wanted. It stepped back and picked my note up from the ground, fiddling with its folded corners. I doubted it even knew how to read human languages.

"Jack—Nyx, mail mask. Bring it back. We'll help you."

"Thanks, little guy. Uh, what's your name?"

The demon tilted his head. "Name?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but quickly realized.

He doesn't have one. He really was just a pet, something to be toured around.

I sighed as I looked him up and down, the memory of Vickson still fresh and bittersweet in my mind. Well. We can't all die saints, I suppose.

"I'll just call you..." I pursed my lips in thought. "Bernie. Sound good, little guy?"

Be grateful. I could've gone with something much worse, like Vick Jr.

Bernie nodded, though I still wasn't entirely sure if he knew what I was talking about. I smiled anyway.

"Thanks. I hope they're nice to you, whoever you decide to give the note to."

Doctor Kaine said he was fine with my "methods," as long as he got the last say in what treatment was required. I bit my tongue and nodded, knowing that whatever he could do with his tools and medicine, I could probably handle in half the time.

I still had plans with Morgan on my mind today; a movie night with Sean, Darla, and Leigh, followed by a trip to the city next morning. I had less time off than I would've liked, but definitely more than the average nurse. So why not be thankful? You'd think I would've learned my lesson with that.