The Dragon Boy, the Vampire, and Crup

COC #3: Magickal Creatures

Simon and Baz adopt... a... dog?

~ I had an odd amount of fun writing this. Enjoy! ~

Somehow, I roped Baz into adopting a dog with me. It took hours of convincing, begging and doing some other... things. (Him, mostly.) He said Snow, I'm not your keeper. If you want a dog, get a dog. To which I frowned and replied, But Baaazzzzz. I want a dog with you! Together! That seemed to soften him up. Plus, all I really have to do to convince him to do anything is kiss him softly and work my jaw the way he loves- that always seems to shut him right up. He finally relented, and now here we are at the pound, ready to get a little best friend.

As soon as Baz steps in, he picks his shoe up, inspecting the muck on it that I don't even see. "Snow, this... pound is as dirty as our room in the morning." I look around theatrically and then shush him.

"Keep our sexual habits to yourself, Basil," He rolls his eyes, but I can see a ghost of a smile playing on his lips. He walks toward the front desk and it greeted by a short blonde woman. I'm bouncing on my heels, ready to see the dogs, and my invisible tail smacks Baz in the arse. He shoots me a warning glare. (Warning for what, I don't know. He seems to like my tail, so...)

"Hello, lads! How might I help you?" Grumpy Baz collects himself and stands up straighter, more composed than he was when we walked in. After all this time away from his father, he still feels the need to be cool and nonchalant when he talks to people. I give his hand a squeeze.

"We're here to..." He looks back and sighs at me, finally giving in to being happy. A full smile appears on his face. (Crowley, I love it when he smiles.) "Adopt a dog. Show us your finest." The woman smiles brightly at us, looks down at our conjoined hands, and then smiles even brighter. She sports a pride pin on her vest.

"Right this way, dears!" She leads us into a separate room where there are dogs all around in kennels, categorized by breeds. "Take your time- this is a tough decision! We have some great options here. Just call me back when you want to take a walk with one of them." She leaves us alone with all of the dogs and they are all so cute that I think I might just explode.

I tug on Baz's sleeve hurriedly. "Oh, Baz! Can we get all of them??" I give him my best puppy dog eyes (pun intended), and he smiles a lopsided smile at me.

"Now Simon, this is of the utmost importance. We mustn't simply decide based on the 'cuteness factor'. We must take time to evaluate. In short, no, we cannot adopt every single dog in here." I frown at him, but he keeps dragging me along slowly as he scrutinizes each puppy in each cage dramatically. There are some bigger black dogs that are really energetic, but we don't have room in our apartment for a larger dog.

"Sorry, puppies," I say as I scratch them on the ear as I walk by. They whimper behind me and my heart breaks a little.

In another cage, I see five Cocker Spaniels, and I almost point them out to Baz, but then I think of Agatha and I decide to not say anything about them. I'm happy that I chose Baz; it was the best bloody decision of my entire life.

"Hey, babies? Will one of you come with us? Huh? Are you gonna get a home?" I put on my best baby voice while I talk to them. When I talk about a home, Baz looks down at me sympathetically, but I wave him off. I haven't even thought of my orphanage experiences once since we got here. I have a home now- with Baz.

Soon, we're almost to the end of the line, when Baz abruptly stops in front of a kennel and crouches down to see the dog inside. It's white with brown spots and it has... a forked tail?! So cool. It's jumped up against the bars and snuggling against Baz as he scratches his/her ear. His face breaks out into a grin.