For Real This Time

Otp Prompt #13: Baz and Simon keep fake proposing to each other in restaurants to get free food, but when Baz finally proposes for real, Simon doesn't get it. 

27 days and counting that Simon and I have been doing this. We've discovered (by watching other couples do it) that of all the bloody things, proposing at restaurants gets you free food. We decided to test this theory out by doing a fake proposal at a Normal restaurant called 'Chuck-E-Cheese'. (I wouldn't recommend it- the fake animals seemed to be spelled to play music and follow you around with their eyes). We went to the dollar store (Crowley, the dollar store. Normals are so cheap) and bought a bag of fake rings. Simon popped down on one knee and said some total fucking shit like 'Man, I've loved ya' forever' and I said yes with feigned surprise. He slipped the fake ring on my finger (which later stained green) and kissed me.

Some restaurants' standards are so bloody low it's ridiculous. Once I just popped down on one knee and said 'will you be my bro forever?' and the waiters went fucking wild. I'm fairly certain we used a ring pop that time. But every time, no matter how either simple or extravagant the proposal, my heart glows. I don't know about Simon, but around the twentieth time he proposed, it started feeling real. We've not been doing it quite as much anymore.

But now, I'm sure of what I want. After everything went down with the fucking Humdrum (we never refer to him as just the 'Humdrum'; it's always the fucking Humdrum or the bloody Humdrum. Sometimes the 'rat bastard Humdrum') and The Mage and everything, I took Simon out on a real date. Not a 'We're-dying-in-a-forest-so-kiss-me' date. Not a 'We're-surrounded-by-vampires-that-want-to-kill-us-but-I-would-still-gladly-fuck-you' date. A proper date at a restaurant. After everything Simon went through, it felt a little silly going to a Normal restaurant for dinner. (Plus, I feel as though he was still a bit thrown by the fact that he was snogging and dating his mortal enemy). (He's since gotten over that). But after that night, he thanked me profusely... and it was then that he told me he loved me. I'll never forget it.

It was absolutely pouring out, and Simon and I were trying to run to my car from inside the Italian restaurant (something the Normals call 'Old Spaghetti Factory'. Superb). I couldn't find my keys and we were caught in the rain like in that one movie... The Notebook or some bloody shit like that. (Simon made Penny and I watch it. He cried. Penny teared up. I laughed). I was cursing, running my hands through my increasingly soaked hair. My suit (Gucci- I couldn't believe it was getting ruined) was nearly all the way soaked through and Simon's t-shirt was clinging to his torso. (Which only distracted me more from finding the keys).

I heard something loud beside be, and I turned my head to see Simon doubled over in laughter. The rain roared around us and I couldn't hear anything but splattering on the ground and Simon's laugh. "What in the bloody hell is so funny, Snow?" (I only called him Simon when we were alone together and being soft) (I don't know when the fuck I started saying things like 'being soft'- it just happened). He gained his composure (as much as was possible for Simon, anyway) and wiped away a falling tear as he walked toward me.

He wrapped his arms around me, and I let myself melt under his touch. "Oh, Baz. This is perfect!"

"Perfect? What about this is perfect?" He looked up at me, eyes glinting in the street lights. He was still the sun... but it no longer felt like I was going to get burned.

"Because it's us, Baz. Of course it would start pouring at the end of our date. And of course we would lose our keys and get stuck in the rain. It's just..." He shook his head and sighed. He leaned in, giving me the slowest (and quite honestly most arousing) kiss we had ever shared. He leaned back, only our noses touching and looked me right in the eyes. It was like looking into my future. "I love you." My heart swelled and I couldn't help the complete fucking grin that spread across all of my futures.