XLV: A Heroine's Vow

When Tanith found Zylphia, the latter was in the medical area, sitting next to Minerva.

Minerva was still asleep, something she'd been doing constantly since the fight with Iago. Sophia and Zylphia were standing on either side of her, trying to work their magic while avoiding permanent damage. It was a dangerous game of not going too far, as Minerva was hanging on just barely as it was. She had gotten better, but better was relative when a war was raging just outside.

"Zylphia?" Tanith asked slowly, walking towards her adoptive mother cautiously. "I have something important to tell you."

Zylphia looked up after pressing her hands against one of Minerva's old wounds once again. "What is it?" she asked. Zylphia was absolutely exhausted, and it seemed as if she was barely keeping herself upright. If she was pushed too far, she would likely collapse, which was the last thing anyone needed when the war had everything put together so loosely as it was.

"We've found out what happened to the students of Acadia," Tanith explained, pulling up a chair to sit next to Zylphia. "They were attacked by Iago and his army, likely after the fall of Sacred Heart. The school collapsed as a result of his assault, but no lives were lost... Anneliese arrived on the scene at the perfect time, and she was able to use her dimensional magic to get rid of the debris to save the trapped students and staff from underneath all the rubble."

Zylphia let out a sigh, and much of the tension she had been holding in her shoulders disappeared. "I am incredibly relieved to hear that... Where did you get this information from?" she asked.

"The students just came back. They were teleported back here by Anneliese. Luce and Sylvia are at Sacred Heart. Carys, Helena, S.M., and Anneliese are heading in their direction alongside Headmistress Latheia. They'll be back with us soon... Hopefully. We've figured out where Iago is holed up. He's made Sacred Heart his headquarters while the Shadows continue fighting in the war. All the possessed witches are there as far as I'm aware," Tanith replied.

"That's a relief to hear... I'm sure Minerva will be happy to hear such," Zylphia said softly, returning her gaze to where her friend was resting. Sophia removed her hands from Minerva's arm, allowing Zylphia to take care of whatever other healing needed to be done.

"Do you think she's going to be okay?" Tanith asked quietly, unsure of if she wanted the answer. Minerva looked so weak and pale, and it was terrifying to see. Minerva was one of the most powerful mages in existence, and to see her now, beaten so easily by a foe that didn't even give her the chance to fight back... Tanith felt like she was going to be sick the longer she thought about it.

Zylphia nodded. "I'm sure of it... It'll just take time. These are the worst injuries I've had to heal for since the War of Starlight... There is no doubt in my mind that she'll wake up and be able to walk around like the rest of us," she assured Tanith.

Mother and daughter looked into each other's eyes, and Tanith knew Zylphia was being serious. Zylphia had no reason to lie to her. Tanith was grown now, as this semester at Alitia had done a lot for her. Zylphia knew it just as well as everyone else did.

Tanith smiled lightly at the reassurance, and she leaned forward, pulling Zylphia into a hug without a second thought. "Thank you for everything, Zylphia," she murmured.

Zylphia returned the embrace, stroking her daughter's hair gently. As the two hugged, Sophia continued working her magic on Minerva's sleeping form.

However, Sophia soon stopped, a gasp leaving her lips.

A light groan escaped Minerva's lips as she opened her eyes slowly. She stared at the ceiling blankly, not really focusing on anything. She eventually settled her gaze on Zylphia and Tanith, who had pulled away from their hug upon noticing that Minerva had stirred.